Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Additional Storage for Road Trips

15K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  OEDRO Car Part 
#1 ·
Just wanted to share how we roll on road trips. With 3 kids under 5 and grandparents, we will need all the storage we can get on our trip down to FL.

Details on goodies:
1. Yakima crossbars and Skybox 21 - box opens on both sides and does not interfere with lift gate operation, locks for security, waterproof
2. Thule 665c Transporter - hitch mounted (2" drawbar), locks, waterproof, full tail, running and directional lights, license plate mount (lighted), swing away feature to allow access to trunk.

We've had both the Skybox and hitch box for several years and have used them one at a time on plenty of occasions but this is only the second time we are using them simultaneously (first time was when we moved from out-of-state). This set up adds about 34 cubic feet of storage, which almost doubles the cargo space behind the third row.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Neat!

Did you notice any effect on your fuel mileage with both in place?

Dave

Reactions: KingOpie
#3 ·
Nope. That's why I prefer to use the hitch box whenever we can. There is no added wind resistance so fuel mileage is not affected and there is no added wind noise. Only thing that is really a minus for the hitch box is it interferes with back up camera and it doesn't hold as much as the skybox. However, the hitch box has a more regular shape so I feel like I can utilize more of every 13 cu ft of it versus the 21cu ft of the skybox that has plenty of "dead space" because of its odd shape and uneven floor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.