2011 Odyssey Tops in Crash Safety
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2011 Odyssey Tops in Crash Safety

2011 Odyssey Tops in Crash Safety

The 2011 Odyssey received 5-stars overall in the updated NHTSA crash testing and 5-stars in each of the five individual crash tests. It's the only van or SUV to do so. Only one other model (Chevy Cruze) has done this of those tested so far. Kudos to Honda!

The 2011 Odyssey is also on its way to being a Top Safety Pick from the IIHS. It received the necessary top "Good" ratings in the two crash tests and also a "Good" result in their ratings of seat geometry and head restraints for rear impact protection. They have not yet tested it for roof crush strength, where a "Good" result would make it an overall Top Safety Pick.

There really is nothing out there that can touch the 2011 Odyssey for family seating flexibility and crashworthiness right now.

The Safest AND Most Flexible Family Vehicle?
    Carseat Questions? - www.Car-Seat.Org
    '11 Highlander Hybrid, replaced '06 Odyssey EX-L, replaced '01 Ody LX

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The Sienna got 4 stars overall. Not bad but in the war of minivans, safety ranks near the top (in terms of criteria) for families making a decision to buy. For me, at least.

A 4-star overall rating from NHTSA doesn't bother me at all in general. Many models with 4-star overall ratings have 4-star and 5-star results in all the indvidual tests, which is quite good in the new system. When I get concerned is when I start to see 3-star ratings in individual crash tests from NHTSA or "Marginal" results in the frontal or side crash test from the IIHS.

Toyota's results in the new NHTSA tests are not all that great so far, overall. The Highlander did pretty well. The Rav4 and Camry managed only 3-stars overall, though for some reason the Camry results were recently taken down. The Sienna certainly wasn't bad, but for an all-new vehicle that was designed when the parameters of the new NHTSA tests were fully known and tested in-house, I was surprised to see a 3-star frontal crash rating (due to a 2-star result for the passenger test). The Venza and Tacoma results are similar to the Sienna and also some cause for concern, in my opinion.
    Carseat Questions? - www.Car-Seat.Org
    '11 Highlander Hybrid, replaced '06 Odyssey EX-L, replaced '01 Ody LX

Granted, 4 stars is good. But once all the results are in, Honda can lay claim to be the safest minivan on the market. To me, this is huge.

6. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements