2011 Honda Odyssey Carseat Q&A
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2011 Honda Odyssey Carseat Q&A

2011 Honda Odyssey Carseat Q&A

Though I sold my own 2006 Odyssey a couple months ago for a new Highlander Hybrid, I am currently doing a long term review of the 2011 Odyssey Touring Elite over the summer. If you have any carseat related questions, I will do my best to answer them. I have a small stock of carseats on hand to check compatibility. I'll check here periodically to address any questions, but if you need faster help, feel free to post in the main thread at Car-Seat.Org.
    Carseat Questions? - www.Car-Seat.Org
    '11 Highlander Hybrid, replaced '06 Odyssey EX-L, replaced '01 Ody LX

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

?S about 4 car seats

Quote Originally Posted by CPSDarren View Post
    Though I sold my own 2006 Odyssey a couple months ago for a new Highlander Hybrid, I am currently doing a long term review of the 2011 Odyssey Touring Elite over the summer. If you have any carseat related questions, I will do my best to answer them. I have a small stock of carseats on hand to check compatibility. I'll check here periodically to address any questions, but if you need faster help, feel free to post in the main thread at Car-Seat.Org.
    We have an almost 3 year old at 26 pounds in a forward facing Britax Marathon. Also, we have a 20 month old at 26 pounds in a forward facing Britax Marathon.

We are expecting TWINS in late Nov/early Dec. We will be getting a 2011 or a 2012 Honda Odyssey Touring soon because of the LATCH positions. No one is close to getting booster seats yet.

What would be the best configuration to install all 4 car seats? The safest? Are Britax Marathons "compatible" with Honda Odyssey ie. does it get a good fit? And which infant car seats would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.jillmesser View Post
    We have an almost 3 year old at 26 pounds in a forward facing Britax Marathon. Also, we have a 20 month old at 26 pounds in a forward facing Britax Marathon.

We are expecting TWINS in late Nov/early Dec. We will be getting a 2011 or a 2012 Honda Odyssey Touring soon because of the LATCH positions. No one is close to getting booster seats yet.

What would be the best configuration to install all 4 car seats? The safest? Are Britax Marathons "compatible" with Honda Odyssey ie. does it get a good fit? And which infant car seats would you recommend?
    Hi! Unfortunately, my long term review Odyssey is gone as of last week:-( While I can't test specific models or configurations, I can provide some general suggestions.

With 4 kids all in a 5-point harness, putting 3-across in the second row may pose a challenge because it will limit your access to the third row. If you don't mind squeezing through a narrow access from the sliding door, maybe it would work. It may also work for your oldest child to squeeze through if they can buckle themselves in the third row.

So, if you do 3-across, you'd probably start by putting the oldest child in the third row, especially if they can buckle themselves. The arrangement in the second row is a little flexible and would likely be based on convenience of your ability to get everyone buckled correctly. A slight safety advantage might be to put the infant seats in the 2nd row outboard chairs and the 20 month old in the second row center, though this could be a little less convenient for you.

My preference would be to make it as easy on yourself as possible. Put the infant seats in the 2nd row middle and 2nd row passenger captain's chairs. Then, put the two front facing seats in the third row in whatever arrangement is easiest for you to access. Then, the captains chair behind the driver is open, allowing more legroom for the driver and also for an adult to sit there to monitor the infants or you could even remove it for easiest access to the 3rd row.

As for infant seats, since you are having multiples, I would definitely recommend one that fits low birthweight newborns well. Not all of them do. The Chicco Keyfit, Safety 1st OnBoard 35 Air, Britax Chaperone & B-Safe come to mind offhand as popular choices. Since buying two can be very pricey, the Safety 1st Comfy Carry Elite Plus is a good budget choice. Also see:

Recommended Carseats for Preemies & Multiples – CarseatBlog’s List of Best Bets

The Britax "70" series of convertibles, including the Marathon, do install very well in most vehicles. LATCH installation is usually a breeze, though seatbelt installation has a little learning curve with the lockoff system. The only issue is that like most convertibles, it will not fit a low birthweight newborn. Even with the optional infant foam insert, it will only fit larger full term newborns. Since it sounds like you are planning on using an infant seat, that's probably not an issue if you just plan to register for them to use later.

I'd also highly suggest you visit our forum at www.car-seat.org and some of the experts there may have more specific suggestions for you! Good luck!

Darren-have you ever had luck getting a Britax Chaperone properly secured in the 2nd row middle seat of the new 2011+ Odyssey. We've tried everything...including the pool noodle and rolled towels. Part of the problem is that the seat back on the middle "8th seat" does not come forward enough to touch the rebound bar and the base hits the plastic next to the LATCH connectors. Newborn is currently in the outboard position behind driver but I can't reach or really even see him while driving and would really like to take advantage of the forward slide option of the middle seat.

Thanks!

Hi-

Unfortunately, I can't recall if I tried the Chaperone there or not, sorry!

While I do have a Chaperone on hand, I no longer have access to a 2011+ Odyssey unless I can find a friend or neighbor willing to let me borrow it for an hour!

Thanks...if you get a chance let me know...I'd love to get him moved to the middle so I can reach him and have him in a safer position

No luck so far, but I think your baby will be extremely safe in one of the outboard captain's chairs. While the center is considered slightly safer, that's based on older studies that have very few newer cars in the survey. Even 5-10 years ago, child seats and vehicles had fewer side impact safety features and did not perform as well on average in side impact tests. Also, simply having a properly installed and used rear-facing seat reduces the risk to a child to nearly zero. Combined with the great safety features of the Chaperone and Odyssey and I don't think you will have any concerns!

not sure whether to bump this thread or start a new one.

i need to fit in 3 cars seats in a 2013 EX.

my 3-yr old is in the middle row, starboard side. britax marathon 70 G3. seems pretty straightforward.

Now i need to fit in another Marathon G4 in the rear row, starboard side for my 9-mth old boy.

the strap tether that secure the rear (seat back) of the car seat need to be secured somewhere. i don't see anything in the footwell of the rear row except possibly for this loop under the mid-row seat.

i've test-fitted to this loop, but i'm not 100% sure.

any ideas of suggestions on where else this strap could go? alternative to to have to go past the kid's heads and anchor the rear of the seats.

here's a photo of the kid. :-)

2013 Honda Odyssey EX, 2009 Subaru Forester Premium, 1998 Ducati 916.

I don't think you're supposed to use the seat back strap when the car seat is in the facing back configuration.
    2013 Odyssey EX-L Smoky Topez Metallic / Truffle
    - 3rd row sunshades with Polk Audio DB351 speakers
    - Polk Audio DB651s speakers 1st/2nd row
    - Honda OEM hitch
    - Airlift 1000
    - Tru cool 4454

For rear facing installation, I believe the tether must be anchored to a fixed (bolted) point on the floor otherwise your only other option might be to route the tether to the rear of the seat. Is the use of the tether required by law in your state? I believe manufacturers describe tether use for rear facing as a manner in which to "improve" installation rather than a required safety feature.
    Richard
    2009 EX-L w/ RES, back-up camera
    Mods: iPod videos on RES, custom trunk lid (click for write up), running boards, class III receiver hitch

that's what i was wondering as well. we never did use it for our 3-yr old when we had her rear-facing, but am not sure about the difference between the G3 and the G4.

i'll have to look at the manual again tonight and figure out the wording.

ah. "can be improved."

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements