Hondas response to the car seat in PlusOne question - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hondas response to the car seat in PlusOne question

latch versus belt strength

This has probably been covered already, but if you are unsure about the latch safety of the plus one, just use the seat belts. The seat belts are tested to stop a 300lbs person, while the latch system is only required to stop 48lbs. That's a huge difference in strength. I personally still use the latch because it gives a snugger hold, but the seat belt is a stronger restraint for car seats.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The Plus One seat is not LATCH equipped, unfortunately.

As a side note, Sunshine Kids has upgraded the LATCH system hardware on their Radian series child seats. The new Radian SL (Super LATCH) models are touted to be used up to 80 pounds with the LATCH system in all vehicles made after Sept. 1, 2005. That is when an increased strength requirement was mandated and completely phased-in. Of course, some vehicle manufacturers still advice otherwise, so there is going to be confusion on this issue.
    Carseat Questions? - www.Car-Seat.Org
    '11 Highlander Hybrid, replaced '06 Odyssey EX-L, replaced '01 Ody LX

Originally posted by Odyness
    If anyone needs to put a harnessed child restraint in that 8th seat, the Sunshine Kids Radian may be your best bet. Not only because of it's narrowness, but also because it has very low head excursion number without the top tether. Radian Government Crash Numbers The 8th seat does NOT have lower anchors or Top tether (LATCH system). You would be using a seatbelt to install.

This seat would also be a good option for rear-facing. (I have not tried to install a radian rear-facing in this seat though)
    Hi,
    I am posting on a very old thread as the topic is relevant. We are looking to buy a used van mainly because we want 4 adults and a child (2.5 yrs 30 pounds) sit comfortably. We looked at SUVs such as MDX, Mazda CX-9 etc, but the 2nd row got really cramped. Ideally we are hoping to install forward facing Sunshine Radian seat in Ody's plusone (2nd row middle) seat. That way we could minimize the use of 3rd row and have 2 adults in 2nd row captain chair. I have read on some threads here that plusone seat in pre 2011 Ody's dont have latch and tether. Is it unsafe to install FF Radian seat in plusone seat with the seat belts? Can one use tethers (not latch) from one of the captain chairs?
    Thanks a lot

Originally posted by valuebuyer
    Hi,
    I am posting on a very old thread as the topic is relevant. We are looking to buy a used van mainly because we want 4 adults and a child (2.5 yrs 30 pounds) sit comfortably. We looked at SUVs such as MDX, Mazda CX-9 etc, but the 2nd row got really cramped. Ideally we are hoping to install forward facing Sunshine Radian seat in Ody's plusone (2nd row middle) seat. That way we could minimize the use of 3rd row and have 2 adults in 2nd row captain chair. I have read on some threads here that plusone seat in pre 2011 Ody's dont have latch and tether. Is it unsafe to install FF Radian seat in plusone seat with the seat belts? Can one use tethers (not latch) from one of the captain chairs?
    Thanks a lot
    Unfortunately the "plusone" seat is not a good place for a radian installed FF'ing. What I would recommend doing is removing the Plusone seat, sliding the passenger side captain's chair over, and installed the Radian either FF'ing or RF"ing in the 3rd row. If FF'ing make sure you are using a an approved Top Tether (different year models of Odyssey's provide different tether options for the 3rd row). What year of Ody were you looking at?
    Certified CPST Child Passenger Safety Technician
    www.car-seat.org aka: lovinwaves
    7 year and 5 year old riding in Recaro ProSports
    2005 Nighthawk Black Pearl Odyssey EX-L

The only challenge with the passenger side middle row seat slid in towards the middle is you have to watch the LATCH weight limits. If you have a child over 40 lbs in that location, you have to use the seat belt, which blocks access to the third row. A child could probably climb through, but it would be just about impossible for an adult. Just something to consider.

We currently have our youngest (of two) in the passenger side, middle row location, and I prefer the seatbelt install to the LATCH. Third row access isn't an issue for us, as ours is currently folded down.
    '05 Odyssey EX

Originally posted by Jwebbal
    I have installed a Marathon rear facing in the plus one position. Worked well.
    I'm not sure that is going to give enough room for two adults on each side.

Unfortunately the "plusone" seat is not a good place for a radian installed FF'ing. What I would recommend doing is removing the Plusone seat, sliding the passenger side captain's chair over, and installed the Radian either FF'ing or RF"ing in the 3rd row. If FF'ing make sure you are using a an approved Top Tether (different year models of Odyssey's provide different tether options for the 3rd row). What year of Ody were you looking at?
    Hi Odyness,
    Thanks for this response and in fact all the other insightful responses as well.
    We havent quite decided which year yet, but it will mostly likely be 2006-09. We were so much hoping to avoid using 3rd row because parents will find it tough to use it. Also if we keep our daughter's car seat in 3rd row, strapping her during everyday short trips might become cumbersome. Ideally we would have loved her in the middle row center seat and 2 adults next to her. Looks like that wouldn't be feasible in Ody. This is not a deal breaker though.
    But just to clarify, if I am installing only one FF car seat, can I use the plusone seat with seat belt and use tether from one of the captain chairs?

But just to clarify, if I am installing only one FF car seat, can I use the plusone seat with seat belt and use tether from one of the captain chairs? [/B]
    Unfortunately the 8th seat in the 2005-2010 Odyssey's do not come with a Top Tether or Lower Anchors (Complete LATCH system). Therefore you can only use the seatbelt for installations. You may not borrow latch or tethers from other seats (the captain's chairs). Sorry to say! And because of this, the 8th seat is not a good seat to install a forward-facing carseat on it that has a Top Tether (all car seats with a harness). The Top Tether is a very important safety feature on your carseat and is required by law. It helps with neck loads on the child in the event of a crash.

The new 2011 Odyssey 8th seat comes with a complete LATCH system (so tether and anchors). And it's a wider seat to accommodate car seats better. This is a HUGE improvement for Honda.

The seatbelt in the 8th seat will still lock for you when you install a seat making it easier to install. To lock the seatbelt for car seat installations pull the belt all the way out s.l.o.w.l.y., When the seatbelt then retracts you will not be able to pull anymore out. Sometimes you will hear a faint ratcheting noise.

Unfortunately the 8th seat in the 2005-2010 Odyssey's do not come with a Top Tether or Lower Anchors (Complete LATCH system). Therefore you can only use the seatbelt for installations. You may not borrow latch or tethers from other seats (the captain's chairs). Sorry to say! And because of this, the 8th seat is not a good seat to install a forward-facing carseat on it that has a Top Tether (all car seats with a harness). The Top Tether is a very important safety feature on your carseat and is required by law. It helps with neck loads on the child in the event of a crash.

The new 2011 Odyssey 8th seat comes with a complete LATCH system (so tether and anchors). And it's a wider seat to accommodate car seats better. This is a HUGE improvement for Honda.

The seatbelt in the 8th seat will still lock for you when you install a seat making it easier to install. To lock the seatbelt for car seat installations pull the belt all the way out s.l.o.w.l.y., When the seatbelt then retracts you will not be able to pull anymore out. Sometimes you will hear a faint ratcheting noise.
    Thanks. 2011 Ody seems like a great van but little too pricey :-). We are looking to buy a used one anyway. Other option would have been a LE/CE 8 passenger model of Sienna from 2007-9. But oddly Toyota doesnt make 8 passenger in XLE model which comes closest to our needs. Leather interior is more important than having ability to sit a child in the 2nd row middle. So focus would be on finding a good used Ody. I hope 3rd row seat will be comfortable for elderly.

. I hope 3rd row seat will be comfortable for elderly. [/B]
    It is! When we purchased our 2005 new, Hubby and I both made sure to each ride in the 3rd row. We are both 5'10 (but I have longer legs ) and found it more than accommodating. Comfortable seats, adequate head rest/protection, 3-point seatbelts in every position, cup holder on each side along with cubby hole. You probably won't get 3 adults in the 3rd row comfortably, but 2 adults would be just fine.

The only downside though is actually getting INTO the 3rd row. If you have a carseat installed on the passenger side captain's chair, you aren't going to be able to fold and slide that seat forward to allow easy access to the 3rd row. The other thing is that the 3rd row is right over the wheel base so it can be a bit bumpier and noisier ride. They also may have troubles hearing front passenger conversations and responding to them. You feel a million miles away from the front passengers They will have their own vents though back there to adjust and the seat back there even reclines! Once again, very comfy

12. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements