How many child seats in 3rd row is possible?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How many child seats in 3rd row is possible?

How many child seats in 3rd row is possible?

I am starting another thread to compliment my thread regarding Odyssey shopping for a daycare. (New here. Looking at 2005/6/7 Ody for daycare)

What I want to ask is the following: How many child seats can fit in the 3rd row (assuming 3 tethers are available)?

After discussing it with my wife, who is running the daycare, there will likely be two forward-facing child seats in the 3rd row (both outboard positions, using seatbelts or LATCH, plus tethers). The middle 3rd row position will be a low-back booster for the 3.5 year old who is well over 40 lbs (built like a tank!).

Can anyone confirm if 2 forward-facing child seats, plus one booster, is possible in a 2005-2007 Odyssey?

I think the 2005's have fewer tether points for the 3rd row, too -- is this correct? If so, are tether kits available from Honda and are they able to be installed (legally and safely) to retrofit the 2005 to have a full compliment of tethers for the 3rd row?

Overall, my wife thinks there will be 5 kids arranged as follows, IF POSSIBLE:
    2nd row drivers' side: forward facing toddler seat w/ LATCH + tether.
    2nd row passenger side: forward facing toddler seat w/ LATCH + tether.
    3rd row drivers' side: forward facing toddler seat w/ LATCH + tether.
    3rd row center: low-back booster, seatbelt only (no tether required)
    3rd row passenger side: forward facing toddler seat w/ LATCH + tether.

Comments?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

This thread probably belongs in the Kids and Safety section, but considering that this section probably gets a lot more views, I don't blame you posting here. My 2 cents below:

Based on what I've seen on my Odyssey, there is only one LATCH position in the 3rd row, and that is in the center position. There are 3 tether hooks back there, but only one LATCH setup for the middle seat.

What I did for my toddler, when he was seated back there in the 3rd row, was use the over-the-shoulder seat belt to secure his car seat in the driver side. You can then use the tether as well. If you know how to do it, it can be done "legally and safely" as you put it. You basically pull the seat belt until it won't go any further, and then it will lock when you retract it. Read the car seat's manual if you aren't sure how to use this method.

So, in summary, if you are able to squeeze in the booster seat between the two car seats you should be able to put the three kids in the back. But I think it depends on how wide the car seats and booster are. I once tried to fit two boosters and a car seat in the 3rd row and it was a VERY tight fit.

The second row allows for two LATCH plus tethers.

Just a reminder: the removable Plus One seat is not recommended for car seats.

I hope this helps!

edit: you may also want to read this thread: 3rd Row Anchor point
    Last edited by 08exl; 06-02-2010 at 11:55 AM.
    2008 EX-L RES Baltic Blue Pearl
    2003 Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl

Thanks a lot - and yeah I agree this would have been the wiser forum to place it in, in hindsight.

I'll bring 2 forward facing seats + a booster with us this weekend when we test-drive some Ody's, Siennas, and Quests.

Cheers.

It also depends a lot on the car seats you use. We have three 5-point seats in our 2001 Odyssey and they work great. I'll take some pictures this week but basically it's 3 Sunshine Radian car seats.
    2001 Honda Odyssey
    137,000 Miles, rebuild done at 109,000 miles, using full synthetic fluid, new tru-cool transmission cooler, magnafine filter.
    First fluid change recently came out clean with no particles or obvious thermal breakdown.

We ended up getting a 2007 Odyssey EX. We didn't test-fit the seats we have as they wouldn't necessarily be the ones used for the daycare anyhow. All I passed along to my wife was "others can get 3 across the back, it just depends on the specific seats used". She was OK with that, and now we're happy owners of a 2007 EX.

Congrats!! Glad to hear.
    2008 EX-L RES Baltic Blue Pearl
    2003 Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl

8. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements