Dash lights not working
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dash lights not working

Dash lights not working

Hi, new to the website. I have a 2001 Ody EX with Nav system. Two electrical problems have cropped up. Unsure if they’re related. The first issue is the dash illumination lights stopped working. Lights for gear selection and turn signals are still working. Second issue is exterior lights do not flash when vehicle is locked with key fob.

Checked the owner’s manual to see if a blown fuse was the reason. It shows back-up lights and dash illumination lights on the same circuit. Back-up light still work so that rules out the fuse. Found a recall for 99-00 model years involving the Multiplex unit (MICU) which can overheat and fail resulting in loss of dash illumination. But the recall does not cover the 01 model year…

Would like to troubleshoot and repair myself (watching the budget), but without a service manual or wiring diagrams I’m limited. Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Young children commonly insert coins in the CD player causing similar problems as yours. Is this a possibility?

Check fuses #9 (15A), #10 (15A) and #11 (10A) in the Passenger's Under-Dash Fuse/Relay Box.

Oh, and welcome to the site! Check out the link in my signature line below for info on our 2001s...
    Last edited by New Dad New Van; 08-04-2010 at 02:29 PM.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Thanks for the prompt response NDNV. I like the thread you put together on 2001 Ody’s …excellent summary of information.

Although I have children they are teens now, so coins in the CD player, doesn’t seem like a likely possibility. Wife plays her CD’s without issue. Fuses are easy to check, I’ll take a look. Although you did not specify, I assume you meant drivers side. According to Owner’s Manual on the Driver’s Side:

#9 is a 10A Back-up lights, Instrument Lights
    #10 is a 7.5A Turn Signals
    #11 is a 10A Rear Wiper

There is another fuse box on the passenger side - this is the one to check those fuses.

Some have had no issue playing the CD player but still have the problems you have...
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Well I'll be...
    I gotta be honest NDNV, I didn't expect the problem to be in fuse #9,10 or 11 on the passenger side. Circuit descriptions didn't seem to fit the problem, but I figured what the heck, simple check. Well, just in from the garage, found #10 was blown. Replaced with a good fuse and walla, dash illumination lights working as well as the exterior lights when locked and unlocked with key fob. I am humbled...you are the man!!! Thanks for the guidance. Glad I didn't spend an arm and a leg on parts I didn't need.
    Last edited by sschnei; 08-05-2010 at 10:57 AM.
    1999 Odyssey

No problem.

If the fuse blows again, then either of these circuits will need to be checked:

Audio unit, Center pocket light, Clock, Climate control unit, Combinationlight switch, Cruise control main switch light, Gauge assembly, Hazard warning switch light, Heater control panel, Interior lights switch light, Driver’s multiplex control unit, Power sliding door switch light, Rear A/C fan switch light, Taillight relay TCS switch light
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

Thanks NDNV. Yes, I was thinking about that last night…what was the reason the fuse blew in the first place??? Don’t know the root cause. Most likely I’ll be back with more questions, but for now we’ll just monitor the situation.
    Last edited by sschnei; 08-05-2010 at 10:59 AM.
    1999 Odyssey

Ok, then I have a question...

I have a 2000 and the lights for the odometer and clock are out. Would that be a fuse also or the bulbs?

Proud to say I just fixed the latch on the rear door myself with loctite. Had been rattling for a long time, we've tightened the screws probably 4 or more times but this time I got the loctite.

Forgot to add... the van has over 185,000 miles on it now.

Any DIY's here for the speedometer removal? I need to replace a bulb.

Originally posted by AngYKY
    I have a 2000 and the lights for the odometer and clock are out. Would that be a fuse also or the bulbs?
    Just need new bulbs. Search on "clock light replacement" and "odometer bulb replacement" for more info.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

Originally posted by riontegra
    Any DIY's here for the speedometer removal? I need to replace a bulb.
    Search on terms like "gauge assembly removal" or "gauge bulbs" etc.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

I have the same issue, but have the coins in the radio problem. is it difficult/costly to remove the radio and get the circuit fixed? radio removal info would be good if available

Just saw this. So there is hope for my dash lights too.

Any recommendations for how to get my daytime running lights working?

same issue

sorry to revive this thread, but I have a 2001 ex that my 4 yr old left on 3 rear interior lights, I came out the next morning and saw them on. barely had enough juice to start but it did start. upon driving to work all was fine, my wife dropped me off and headed back to our house only half way the radio stopped working. when I got home that night I checked the #11 fuse in the passenger side fuse box. it had blown, i replaced it and saw that a code was needed for the radio (which I didn't get when we bought the van) so I turned the radio off. left for work the following day and when I got to work and parked I noticed that the park lights were still on, even though I turned off the lights at the switch. so I unplugged the #11 fuse and that took care of it. when I came out of work I plugged the fuse back in and checked the lights. they were off, turned them on and turned them off and all were off. got in the van this morning and no light at all other than head lights, replaced the fuses only for them to blow immediately. I am at a loss and need some guidance.

coins in the radio

ok so add this to the "coins in radio" issue. glad to happen upon this forum. great info guys. thanks

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements