Loud Screeching Noise, Panel Lights Flickering, Headlights Dimming, and Dead Battery
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Loud Screeching Noise, Panel Lights Flickering, Headlights Dimming, and Dead Battery

Loud Screeching Noise, Panel Lights Flickering, Headlights Dimming, and Dead Battery

I have an -01 Odyssey EX with about 145k mi. This afternoon when I put the car in reverse I heard a loud screeching noise and several of the panel lights turned on (the battery light, the lights indicating the opening of the doors, and Brake light). After a few minutes, I discovered that the loud screeching noise would come on every time I turned the AC/Heat on. When I turned the AC/Heat off the screeching would go away. The panel lights remained on, but they would flicker off every 30 seconds or so but would only be off for a maximum of 5 seconds. The van seemed to be driving just fine although there was a slight, occasional tapping/clicking noise. On my drive home, the panel lighting got dimmer and dimmer, eventually the radio shut off, the odometer went blank, and additional panel lights turned on (TCS and another one). When I got off the freeway, I noticed that my front headlights were very dim. Fortunately, my kids and I made it home. I turned the car on and tried to start it again, but it was completely dead. Again, the car seemed to be driving just fine, except the longer I drove the less power I had.

Does anybody have any input or suggestions? I just officially joined this group but have followed it for the past 3 years and it has been very helpful for me. Thanks.
    Last edited by mbmiller9; 03-21-2011 at 03:44 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Your alternator and AC compressor are driven by the same serpentine belt.

It sounds like when you load it up (by switching on climate control, hence AC), the belt is badly slipping on the AC compressor pulley. Is the compressor frozen, thus wrecking the belt?

As well, it sounds like the alternator pulley either is not gaining enough purchase on the belt (thus not charging the battery), or the alternator is on its way out...

...just guessing.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

x2 -- I would suspect that the ac compressor gave up on you and the alt is on its way out too. but thats just a guess. with the car off and cool I would grab the ac compressor clutch and try to turn it by hand. if it wont move the compressor is locked up, and the alt can be checked at any advance auto parts, autozone, orielly's auto, etc they do that for free.

Thanks for the comments. This morning the van turned on just fine. What I believe is the serpentine belt (it's not the vertical one, but the other belt underneath that is horizontal) was not moving whether I had the AC on or off. A few minutes later, the horizontal belt started to move but every other second you could hear a quick click sound. At that point the lights started to dim and moments later the car shut off.

Mine did the same thing. I replaced the serpentine alt. belt and everything is back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by mbmiller9 View Post
    ...the serpentine belt (it's not the vertical one, but the other belt underneath that is horizontal) was not moving whether I had the AC on or off. A few minutes later, the horizontal belt started to move but every other second you could hear a quick click sound. At that point the lights started to dim and moments later the car shut off.
    mb, the thinner belt that oriented vertically is for the power steering belt.

Are you saying that the wider belt is not moving while the motor is running, then eventually starts to move?

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

8. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements