How to replace ignition switch?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to replace ignition switch?

How to replace ignition switch?

Having problems with 03 Odyssey key cylinder. Bought new key assembly online and need guideance in replacing. I removed dashboard lower cover under steering column and can't figure out how to remove steering column covers. Any other guideance would be appreciated in replacing assembly. Once assembly installed the dealer will provide instructions to start vehicle to bring in so they can reprogram for the new key.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I found a post discussing the steering column cover top and bottom halves just snap together and was able to separate. I also found a TSB 02-031 which discussed how to replace a ignition switch on a older Odyssey and Accord which was helpful. I finished the project and had the new keys reprogrammed at the dealer for $50 so I'm set to go. Only issue I have now is separate keys for the door vs the ignition.

I thought you could get the new ignition lock cylinder re-keyed to the old key from a locksmith.

I did not realize you could re-configure the new lock cylinder to the old keys until just now. Not sure what it would have cost vs reprograming the 2 new keys at $50. It might be best to have the new keys anyway since the old ones show wear. I have 2 door lock remotes for entry and going to hide one of the old keys on the car external incase the battery is completely dead or remote entry does not work.

What was the problem with you van, did it shut off by itself, or ...?
    thanks in advnace, i just wanted a little info, mine shuts off by itself, and I'm thinking of replacing the ignition switch, could it be the cylinder lock?

My issue was the key cylinder tumblers failing. You could put the key in but took for ever to get it to turn. Tried different keys and graphite with no help. Once you got it to turn you did not want to take the key out. Would use a separate key to lock the doors leaving the key in the ignition.

I bought and replaced the entire ignition system (cylinder lock and ignition switch) since I had to tear into it anyway. I've heard of others having problems with the switch but don't know the symptoms.

Van shuts itself off

Quote Originally Posted by molsoncanadian View Post
    What was the problem with you van, did it shut off by itself, or ...?
    thanks in advnace, i just wanted a little info, mine shuts off by itself, and I'm thinking of replacing the ignition switch, could it be the cylinder lock?
    The cylinder lock is a purely mechanical part that only manages what key goes in and wether it will start the vehicle. Shutting off is an electrical issue.

I've had this issue on two different occasions with two different reasons only six months apart.
    First was the electrical part of the ignition switch.(this can be replaced separately from the mechanical part). With this issue you can wiggle the key and sometimes make it shut off. I could be driving down the freeway at 65 and the van would shut off. I could turn the key back to ACC and then back to run and the engine would restart and I would keep on driving. I have even had it shut off and restart on its own with me doing nothing. Been awhile so not sure what other symptoms I was having. This is an easy fix and not very expensive. Some of these vans even had a recall (service bullitan?) for this issue.

Second time around I had an issue with the van shutting itself off while I was driving. This issue started with me driving less than a mile to the local convenience store, shutting off the van, and when I came back out it would not start for about 5 min. This issue got worse for a few months as it grew into a much bigger problem. Eventually within a few minutes of starting either hot or cold no matter, it would just shut off. After it shut off it would not restart for about five minutes and you could hear a soft click before it would come back on. Then it would start and run for quite a while without doing it again. This was very annoying as I take the freeway to work and I would get a couple miles down the freeway at 65 and it would just shut off and I would coast to the side and wait.

This turned out to be an easy fix that the dealer had to find for me. The main relay under the dash was overheating and turning power off to the van. The click I was hearing was the relay turning back on. $150 at the dealer installed including diagnostic fees.
    Last edited by Family99Odyssey; 04-30-2011 at 03:56 PM.

9. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements