best engine oil and filter for high miles,125k
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: best engine oil and filter for high miles,125k

best engine oil and filter for high miles,125k

im doing oil change myself for the first time,what type of engine is the best, shhould i use synthetic?
    2012 touring elite

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

For Honda engines, I''m convinced that it doesn't matter. They seem to be bomb-proof. Just change it according to owner's manual to avoid sludge build-up.

Transmission oil is different story on many other threads.
    2000 Ody
    Origional trans 143K
    Trans cooler, ATF changed every 25k.

For oil just get the correct #, 5w-30 etc... As for filter, Wix and Purolator seem to be good ones. Stay away from Fram, they make them for other companies too so Google which are better.
    Mike
    2000 Odyssey LX
    Trans at 82k -- Tru-cool trans cooler
    DIY Timing Belt at 104k
    Hidden Hitch & Airlift 1000's

Quote Originally Posted by jepoy3227 View Post
    im doing oil change myself for the first time,what type of engine is the best, shhould i use synthetic?
    I use Amsoil 0W-20 oil and Amsoil EA15K13 oil filter. Zero problems with 132k on her.

Quote Originally Posted by OdyinNH View Post
    For oil just get the correct #, 5w-30 etc... As for filter, Wix and Purolator seem to be good ones. Stay away from Fram, they make them for other companies too so Google which are better.

What's wrong with FRAM? I've been using fram for 15 yrs now...

I heard way back in the late 1980s-early 90s that Fram made some cheep filters.
    But I also heard they cleaned up their design since then. I think they changed owners since then too. Old rumors die hard. Look how badly people still think American cars still
    are (and actually they are many times more reliable then they were in the 1980s).
    2000 Ody
    Origional trans 143K
    Trans cooler, ATF changed every 25k.

Quote Originally Posted by cilvrwing View Post
    What's wrong with FRAM? I've been using fram for 15 yrs now...
    One review site: Oil Filters

BTW, they say Wix is crappy so disregard that part of my previous post. I generally get Purolator. Most say the more expensive Fram ones are not too bad but still don't rate to well. Search for yourself online. Who knows, maybe I have old data. My point is research is a good thing.

"Fram oil filters are notoriously awful in construction quality. The end caps are cardboard for crying out loud! Bits of cardboard flake off and bind up in engine parts causing damage. Fram also advertises that their filters are impregnated with PTFE (Teflon). Teflon is a solid plastic that melts together in the oil passages and forms a clot. PTFE is discusses in more detail on the engine oil web page. Fram oil filters are a proven way to ruin Chrysler 2.0L engines."
    Mike
    2000 Odyssey LX
    Trans at 82k -- Tru-cool trans cooler
    DIY Timing Belt at 104k
    Hidden Hitch & Airlift 1000's

125k is low miles in my book. I've been using nothing but Fram filters since 1990 in all of our family's vehicles (Honda, Toyota, Chevy) in multiple states and driving conditions (FL, AL, GA, TX, WV, PA). For the past 80k miles in our '01 Ody, I've been running Fram 10k mile oil filters (xtended guard) and fully synthetic oil, changing the oil only 8 times vs. 26 times if I was still doing the 3k changes. Despite everything bad said about Fram, I heard the "Car Talk" guys on their NPR show recommend the 10k mile filter a few years back and have run it ever since in all three vehicles. My three vehicles (below) have a combined total of 0.56 million miles on them with no engine problems. If I ever have any problems I'll report back.
    2001 Odyssey - 199k
    1999 CR-V - 243k
    1998 Camry - 202k
    ~ Wise men still seek him

Skip the fram unless you just don't care.

Anyways, best filter/oil combo i've used to date comes from Amsoil Oil 0w-30 and Amsoil Filters. I literally change my oil every 10-15k and it still beats regular oil spec.
    2001 Honda Odyssey
    131k Dec 09
    135k Jan 10
    137k Feb 10
    140k March 10 EGR,Valves, IAC
    143k April 10 Fluids PS, ATF, Oil(18k change), BK

Can someone please tell me the difference between these two Mobil oils? One is Mobil Super Synthetic and the other is Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic.

Mobil Super SYN5-30-5.1QT - Motor Oil | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Mobil 1 1-5-30-5.1QT - Motor Oil | O'Reilly Auto Parts

For filters, an effective quick and dirty way to tell a high quality filter is to look at the material of the anti-drainback flap valve. This is visible via the multiple round holes surrounding the central threaded hole on the filter body. If you see a black rubber substance in there, that is nitrile rubber, a "good enough" material in most cases. If you see a red/orange material, that is a silicone valve, which is more expensive and less likely to warp (and allow drainback). It's not a huge difference in performance, honestly, but if the maker went to the trouble of using silicone there, he most likely did the rest of the filter in a high quality manner as well. Fram's higher end filters come this way (not the orange can), as do many others.

The benefits of synthetic oil are for very cold starting (20F and less), high temperature protection (towing a trailer in the desert heat), and they tend to keep an engine a little bit cleaner since they don't need as much fragile viscosity index improver molecules that easily break down to form varnish and sludge. My 2003 with 197k on it looks brand new under the valve covers after getting Mobil 1 all its life. I also have Chicago winters and tow a camper near GCVWR on vacations, so for me it's money well spent.
    2012 EX (hers) 03 LX (reserve force)
    2013 Chevy Cruze Eco (stick!) commuting average 40mpg

Gone:Caddy CTS (neutered, aka auto trans), Jetta 1.8T (stick!),95 & 02 Saturn SL (stick!)

What is Mobil up to here? Adding another syn sure seems to confuse the issue. Out of curiosity I did a search and came up with this: Mobil Super Synthetic vs Mobil 1? - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Below is a relevant excerpt from the link:

8. What’s the difference between Mobil 1 and Mobil Super Synthetic?

Mobil 1 is part of our ultimate line of advanced full synthetics. It uses the latest in additive and base oil technologies that provide superior protection, and outperforms Mobil Super Synthetic.

Oem filters and whatever synthetic is on sale. 252km on my van and 205km on wife's. Both valve trains are spotless and bone dry underneath. IMO people spend too much time worrying about this. I have owned a lot of high km vehicles and none had bad motors. Be diligent with maintenance and the motors run forever.

These engines will last forever no matter what you use, it's the transmission that will die. I use the cheapest oil and filter I can find but I change it on schedule. 125K is LOW miles on a Honda engine.
    2002 Odyssey 160K, 1st tranny rebuild at 129K
    '89 Honda Goldwing
    '89 Mercedes 190 2.6L

You may want to see my post here: Oil filters - Back to the Filtech It is an alternative for sticking with a "genuine" Honda filter. It is by no means the only option but it is a good one, especially given that the Honda Filtech is only about 5 bucks.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements