Popping noise when steering wheel turns
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Popping noise when steering wheel turns

Popping noise when steering wheel turns

I have a Honda Odyssey 2002. It has been making a popping sound when I turn the wheel left and also now when I am just driving without turning. I have had it looked at 3 times. No one seems to know. I have had front struts replaced and left outer tie rod. It went away very briefly but is now back. Any ideas? Having it lubed seems to help but very briefly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

GLP
    This is a classic symptom of a bad outer CV joint (Constant Velocity joint). You can have the CV joint rebuilt for about $300-$400, or have the entire axle replaced for a little more. Don't put it off because complete failure of the CV joint can result in a loss of steering control or the axle can fall out while driving.
    2003 Odyssey EX-L

Replace nothing! Try this first and save yourself some trouble

I tried for years to identify the source of a popping sound from the front end. It all started when I replaced the springs and struts on the front end. I thought I tried everything. Checked torques over and over. The noise was ever present though. Never would go away. I eventually replaced the drive axles thinking that was the last thing it could possibly be. That didn't help either. So then I tried the control arm bushings. NOPE. Not that either. So after replacing every moving part on the front end of the van I still had that same darn sound. A pop while going slowly over uneven road. Or while steering at slow speeds. There was always that pop.

When I had finally given up I went back to check all was tight. I found that the bottom stabilizer bar end link on the driver side was loose enough to turn by hand. I had replaced the end links when I did the struts 2 years ago. I had for some reason overlooked that particular nut every time I checked things. Whomever did your struts probably did the same thing because it is difficult to get a wrench in there to get good torque on it. You'll need a box end wrench to get good angle on it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements