"High Pressure" power steering hose -- $370
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "High Pressure" power steering hose -- $370

"High Pressure" power steering hose -- $370

Had my 2002 Ody (138K) in for an oil change the other day.

Service manager said the high pressure power steering hose (I think I got that right) needs to be replaced soon as it is leaking (although there's nothing on my garage floor...) So I figured a hose needs to be replaced, no biggie, until I heard the cost...$370 !! Does that sound right? I assume the part likely doesn't cost much; is it hard to get to?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

txn
    Yeah, labor could be a big part of total cost.
    Do you have the part number of the hose ?
    2008 Odyssey EXL w/ RES (CPO)
    - Dec 2010: TSB 10-076 Steering Hard to Turn Quickly at Low Speed
    TSB 10-017 (Air In VSA Modulator-Control Unit Causes Low/Soft Brake Pedal)

No, I don't know the part number.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Looks to be $100 for the hose but that is an online price. Local dealer would be another $50 I bet. P/N is 3713-S0X-A02.
    Mike
    2000 Odyssey LX
    Trans at 82k -- Tru-cool trans cooler
    DIY Timing Belt at 104k
    Hidden Hitch & Airlift 1000's

so that's ~$270 for the labor. Smart(er) people...where is this thing and why so expensive. The service advisor couldn't tell me.

Service managers have a book with prices of most fixes. If they are too much find an independent service shop and get their quote. There is no reason to go to a dealer for anything other than warranty work. Even oil changes can just as well be done else ware as the dealer provably has a low paid laborer to do those mundane jobs.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

Quote Originally Posted by edp10 View Post
    so that's ~$270 for the labor. Smart(er) people...where is this thing and why so expensive. The service advisor couldn't tell me.
    Look for the bottle that you put the p/s fluid in, follow the hose back to the pump. The high pressure one is the one attached to the pump with bolts and is partly metal.
    Mike
    2000 Odyssey LX
    Trans at 82k -- Tru-cool trans cooler
    DIY Timing Belt at 104k
    Hidden Hitch & Airlift 1000's

Edp10,

The OEM part number for the "High Pressure" Power Steering hose, or the Power Steering Feed Hose as Honda calls it, is 3713-S0X-A02. It is depicted as ref # 4 in this 2002 Odyssey P.S. Lines diagram.

Looks like you can buy the part for $98.91
    "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand. " -Homer Simpson Hidden Content

Mine is leaking as well. Typically a high pressure power steering hose leaks where the metal is crimped to the rubber hose. My hose does not appear to be leaking from the crimp. I've decided to try replacing the o ring first. Perhaps this will fix the leak.

Two things come to mind when it comes to Power steering (p/s) problems. You could put some p/s sealer into the pump to try and slow or stop the leak all together. A good product I have had success with is Lucas Power Steering treatment. I had a p/s leak in one of my other vehicles, put some Lucas into the p/s res. and it has not leaked for 5 years.

If you want to replace the hose I suggest taking the hose to Hose Man (here in So. Cal) or any other hose repair facality. Just look up Hose in your phone book and you will find shops that can repair it or make you a new one for a fraction of what the dealer wants.

If I was you, I would try Lucas, if that did not work, have the hose fixed or rebuild based off the one you bring into the Hose Man.
    Last edited by spydercatt; 09-13-2011 at 03:00 AM.

I paid just under $600 for my service at a Honda dealership in West Los Angeles. They said all the fluid lost from the leak was falling onto the connector pins for the steering column, which could have set off a major fire or completely stalled my ability to steer altogether.

My uncle is a mechanic--he said he would've charged me about $500. So ultimately, this is one incredibly expensive repair that, unless you know how to do it yourself, is necessary. With the proper tools, this repair takes about 3-4 hours (you have to really get under the motor to undo the hose). The leak happened 2 years and 25,000 miles ago...
    Last edited by Dannyboy3D; 09-04-2013 at 10:38 PM.

2007 Odyssey with over 200,000 miles. After a bottle of Lucas and then three to four bottles of power steering fluid in the last four months, I purchased a refurbished power steering pump at Advanced for $100 and a new reservoir for $20 seeing fluid on the hoses. In removing the old power steering pump, I could not get the pulley off. I finally broke down and took it to my local Merchants. The manager then pulled an old service record from December and stated it was most likely the high pressure hose. He then quoted a price of $200 for the hose. I'm hoping they can reinstall the old power steering pump and save me $100. I'll let you all know on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyboy3D View Post
    I paid just under $600 for my service at a Honda dealership in West Los Angeles. They said all the fluid lost from the leak was falling onto the connector pins for the steering column, which could have set off a major fire or completely stalled my ability to steer altogether.

My uncle is a mechanic--he said he would've charged me about $500. So ultimately, this is one incredibly expensive repair that, unless you know how to do it yourself, is necessary. With the proper tools, this repair takes about 3-4 hours (you have to really get under the motor to undo the hose). The leak happened 2 years and 25,000 miles ago...
    Not sure how a PS leak got on steering column connector pins since the hose is on the passenger side of the engine compartment and the steering column is on the drivers side with engine and suspension components in between..
    Did you mean the PS pressure switch wires?? What did they actually do for $600? That's pricey to me.
    I replaced my hose with an oem from majestic honda $99 shipped in less than 2 hours 3 years ago. A good set of line wrenches and a jack and jack stands or ramps (which is what I used) will do the trick. Pull the hose, remove the PS pressure switch, put PS pressure switch in new hose, install hose, add fresh fluid and bleed the system.

I replaced my hose also on my '04. I used an aftermarket hose from Rock Auto - I think it was around $80. The procedure is conceptually quite simple. The only issue is routing the new hose in place, it takes some doing but can be done in a couple of hours total as noted. You need a flare wrench to loosen the fitting nut. Even with a good flare wrench, it was slipping. I ended up using a small pipe wrench(either 8" or 10") and it came loose no problem. Swap PS switch as noted. The wires on my switch had been broken, so I also had to purchase a new Dorman harness and splice that in. It really is not that bad of a job. I also replaced my bottle and o ring since fairly cheap. Works great now.

got mine from RockAuto and paid local tire-brake shop $140 to replace last fall, I tried it myself and couldn't get the flare nut off the rack, I stopped before I rounded it off. They get $70 an hour for 2 hours, and I got the hose for $55 plus shipping. $200 total. $370 isn't totally out of line. If their hose is $100 and they mark it up a bit and get more than $70 an hour, it is fair enough if you want to keep them open. Mechanics never get to bill for every hour they actually work. Just got the rack and pinion replaced on Friday for $741 parts, labor and real Honda fluid. All this on 2003 with 200K and counting.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast