Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2004 Timing Belt job - cam sprockets out of sync with crankshaft pulley?

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  machelata 
#1 ·
I'm on the other side of my first timing belt job on my 2004 odyssey - Got the timing belt back on but was a victim of a cam sprocket slipping b/c it was just off TDC. Only the rear slipped when i took the old belt off. So I got the new belt on by turning the rear cam sprocket back to TDC w/a wrench and tightened down the idler pulley, and then turned the crankshaft a few rotations thinking the belt would seat on nicely. Well, come to find out I put the idler pulley on backwards (doh!) and the belt did not seat - instead it was working itself off. When the belt came off again, both cam sprockets (front and rear) were not at TDC and they both slipped. I rotated both back to TDC marks, and I think kept them in sync with each other, but not sure about keeping them in sync with the crankshaft pulley at the bottom. With everything lined up to TDC marks I installed belt again, this time installing the idler pulley the correct way and rotating the crank shaft pulley several times seems to result in smooth operation (plugs are pulled for easier rotation). The timing marks line up every time in all 3 places every time.

So my question is - is there anything else I need to check to make sure everything is working correctly before finishing putting things back together and starting the engine? I guess my concern is that the cam sprockets may be "out of sync" with the crankshaft pulley? Think I read something about a compression test in another thread... I have a factory service manual.

Thanks.
Tone

See less See more
#2 ·
As long as the 2 cam marks are where the book says they should be compared to TDC on the crankshaft pulley and the belt is under tension then you should be fine. You mentioned that you manually spun it multiple revolutions with everything lining up after and I assume no noise so you should be good to go. Just make sure it's exact because it's easy to be off a tooth. It cannot be out of sync if all of those match up.

#3 ·
Awesome that's what I was hoping to hear! Yea I've triple checked the teeth against marks, and will do so again after I get all the covers back on. Spinning the crankshaft pulley with belt on (with tension) makes no weird/expensive sounds noises. Just the woosh of the pistons going up and down. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.