2004 odyssey - Front pad replacement and brake bleeding
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004 odyssey - Front pad replacement and brake bleeding

2004 odyssey - Front pad replacement and brake bleeding

I changed my front pads with Honda OEM pads today. Changed out the retaining clips and used the grease that came with them. Went very well – someone said it took 10 min per brake; mine took about ½ hour per brake plus add time to jack and mount tires – overall about 2 hours for a first time brake pad changer. Thanks for all the excellent posts on brake DIY. Not going to replace my rear for a while since even the front pads had about half left (but I was hearing a squeak hence the change). Rotors looked good, so just cleaned them all with brake cleaners.

I am going to bleed my brakes though soon. Do I have to use Honda DOT 3 fluid since the manual says use Honda DOT3? What is the correct order of bleeding (I heard it is from the farthest to the shortest to the master cylinder)? I am planning on getting the brake bleeder pump from Harbor freight. Is there anything else that is better for this job?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

That was my project for today as well on my wife's 04 Odyssey. I've had the OEM pads for several months, however I heard the wear indicator yesterday, just barely and thought it was time to replace the pads. The inner pads were worn down pretty good on both sides.

This time I removed, cleaned and greased the caliper pins and replaced the caliper pin boots. O'Reilly's was able to order the boots by themselves without me having to buy the an entire caliper overhaul kit like Honda requires you to do.
    Last edited by iyung; 10-16-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Bleed order is DS front, PS front, PS rear, DS rear.

Quote Originally Posted by iyung View Post
    This time I removed, cleaned and greased the caliper pins and replaced the caliper pin boots. O'Reilly's was able to order the boots by themselves without me having to buy the an entire caliper overhaul kit like Honda requires you to do.
    Good job! Honda recommends greasing the pins and replacing the caliper pin boots whenever you change the pads. I wonder how many garages do so?!

But as you said, Honda sells the boots only as part of a kit - $37 per side in Canada. They do however sell the bleeder caps separately. No consistency.

Has anyone found a supplier in Canada that sells the boots separately?
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zymöl wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, 16 ATF drain & fills

My local auto parts store was able to get the boots for me ... about $3.50 for the front boots. You might just check what's available locally or buy them from Rockauto.

RockAuto Parts Catalog

Thanks for the tip!
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zymöl wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, 16 ATF drain & fills

thanks for the tips. I am going to bleed my brakes though soon.

Do I have to use Honda DOT 3 fluid since the manual says use Honda DOT3?

I am planning on getting the brake bleeder pump from Harbor freight. Is there anything else that is better for this job?

oops, hit the post button too soon.

how much brake fluid do I need for bleeding the brakes and what is the capacity of the master cylinder and the lines?

I use Valvoline Syntech Brake Fluid in all my vehicles. Takes about two of the small containers of brake fluid, maybe three if it is very dirty.
    NWF_Snake
    Was: 2002 EX-L RES FES Taffeta White "Hers"
    Now: 2007 Lexus RX 350 "Hers"
    2000 Honda Accord LX Taffeta White "His"
    2003 Accord EX EBP, "Kid1"
    1998 CR-V LX SS, "Kid2"
    Use the "Search" Feature!
    Newbies, Read the Rules!
    I am always happy to offer Cheese with your Whine!

Quote Originally Posted by odyowner04 View Post
    Do I have to use Honda DOT 3 fluid since the manual says use Honda DOT3?
    No, any good quality brake fluid is fine. DOT 4 is better than DOT 3 (higher boiling point) and DOT 5.1 (not DOT 5) is even better (even higher boiling point plus made for ABS systems). I have no idea why Honda still specifies DOT 3.
    2002 Odyssey EX FG

hi all,

I am planning on getting the brake bleeder pump from Harbor freight. Is there anything else that is better for this job? will this even work?

Quote Originally Posted by davedrivesody View Post
    No, any good quality brake fluid is fine. DOT 4 is better than DOT 3 (higher boiling point) and DOT 5.1 (not DOT 5) is even better (even higher boiling point plus made for ABS systems). I have no idea why Honda still specifies DOT 3.
    I have read that DOT4 fluid has a more stable and higher boiling point than DOT3 and is less prone to absorbing moisture, but once it does absorb moisture, its boiling point falls off more rapidly than DOT3 fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by iyung View Post
    I have read that DOT4 fluid has a more stable and higher boiling point than DOT3 and is less prone to absorbing moisture, but once it does absorb moisture, its boiling point falls off more rapidly than DOT3 fluid.
    Interesting. So a DOT 3 fluid would last longer, although at a lower boiling point. That could explain why Honda specs DOT 3. The trend today is toward less routine maintenance.
    2002 Odyssey EX FG

i will get the DOT 3 then. since i am not getting any replies on bleed pumps, i will probably go with the two man job and pump it out.

Quote Originally Posted by odyowner04 View Post
    i will get the DOT 3 then. since i am not getting any replies on bleed pumps, i will probably go with the two man job and pump it out.
    I think that is a good choice. Just remember not to let the pedal pumper push the pedal all the way to the floor while bleeding it. Some folks put a block under the pedal to prevent that.

The two people method is cheap and easy, as long as the bleeder valves work good.

Buffalo4

PS: Be sure and empty out the reservoir as much as you can (turkey baster type tool) and fill it with fresh brake fluid before bleeding. Watch it closely so that it doesn't get too low during the bleeding operation.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements