SRS Light Reset Procedure
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SRS Light Reset Procedure

SRS Light Reset Procedure

2003 Ody EX-L
    The light came on several months ago and stays on.
    No accident or hard knocks or flooding, etc.
    How do you extract the codes yourself?
    How do you reset the SRS yourself?
    Thanks
    Buffalo4
    PS I did try the search function, but nothing comes up for SRS.
    Also, if I put in SRS Light or SRS Reset I get a lot of hits but nothing about SRS.
    Is there a secret on how to search in this forum?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Try searching with the * after SRS...ie SRS*

The forum won't allow 3 character searches and using SRS* doesn't work either. What works however is the Google Search up top.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Quote Originally Posted by dvpatel View Post
    The forum won't allow 3 character searches and using SRS* doesn't work either. What works however is the Google Search up top.
    It works...try it. It's called a wildcard.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/search...earchid=190263

Quote Originally Posted by NotNoV8 View Post
    It works...try it. It's called a wildcard.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/search...earchid=190263
    Yes. But try the forum search with SRS* reset and then go up and run a search for SRS Reset in the google search and see the difference. SRS was the actual key word as an example I was giving the Admin to troubleshoot this issue a couple of months ago. The results are different with both searches. With the google search giving back all the results and the vB search only returning a few threads.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

kbh
    I may be wrong but most generic scanners such as those at Advance Auto will not read SRS codes. I took mine to the dealer when the warning light came on and I was charged a $79 dignostic fee. The code turned out to be due to a failed SRS control module which cost $450 to replace but at least the dealer credited the diagnostic fee when I had them do the work. I appealed to Honda NA for at least a parts/labor split but they would not cover it.

This summer I removed the front passenger seat for a long roadtrip which of course triggered an SRS light. After I returned and reinstalled the seat, I followed this procedure to reset the light.

How to reset SRS Light - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

The procedures in the Honda service manual are different for the 99-02 and 03-04. There is a flash procedure for the 99-02 but none for the 03-04. The 03-04 only lists reading the codes with the HDS so you may have to pay the dealer to read them for you. If you do remember seatbelt problems are warrantied for life. If it comes back as an internal SRS problem do not let them replace the SRS unit as the problem could be the battery as noted in several previous threads. A weak battery allows electrical noise in the system which seems to show up first as an internal SRS unit failure. Have them reset it and if it isn't a solid failure replace the battery.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

Quote Originally Posted by William Wiles View Post
    The procedures in the Honda service manual are different for the 99-02 and 03-04. There is a flash procedure for the 99-02 but none for the 03-04. The 03-04 only lists reading the codes with the HDS so you may have to pay the dealer to read them for you. If you do remember seatbelt problems are warrantied for life. If it comes back as an internal SRS problem do not let them replace the SRS unit as the problem could be the battery as noted in several previous threads. A weak battery allows electrical noise in the system which seems to show up first as an internal SRS unit failure. Have them reset it and if it isn't a solid failure replace the battery.
    I just replaced the battery about a month ago.
    I looked at the Service Manual and it also indicated a difference in how to reset the SRS in the 2003-04 compared to the 1999-2002 Ody.
    After a lot of Googling it sounds like you can jumper the #4 and #9 pins in the OBD2 connector and get the codes to flash.
    Anyone here try this method on their 03-04 Ody?
    Can you also reset that light by jumpering the 4-9 pins similar to jumpering the two pins in the MES connector for the earlier models?

Thanks
    Buffalo4
    PS: Also thanks to others with their 'searching' tips.

I had my SRS lights coming on just for no reasons before the annual safety inspection. The dealer who always passed my safety inspection rejected this time and I have to now fix an appointment for another day to get this done since they don't had the pars on hand. The GOOD NEWS is that I don't have to pay anything and it is covered for life-time warranty and don't had to pay anything other than the 16$ state inspection fee. I am glad I still take my Ody to the Honda dealer, even though I moved place a few years ago.

If I had take to a regular express oil change or a tire shop I would have been ripped off for nothing.

So if you see this light coming on, take it to the dealer first before doing anything otherwise.
    2002 Honda Odyssey EX Star-lite Silver
    Xenon HID 6000K Lights
    WeatherTech Hood Bug Deflector
    AllWeather Floor mat
    ODYSSEY Cargo Liner

Quote Originally Posted by sstar View Post
    I had my SRS lights coming on just for no reasons before the annual safety inspection. The dealer who always passed my safety inspection rejected this time and I have to now fix an appointment for another day to get this done since they don't had the pars on hand. The GOOD NEWS is that I don't have to pay anything and it is covered for life-time warranty and don't had to pay anything other than the 16$ state inspection fee. I am glad I still take my Ody to the Honda dealer, even though I moved place a few years ago.

If I had take to a regular express oil change or a tire shop I would have been ripped off for nothing.

So if you see this light coming on, take it to the dealer first before doing anything otherwise.
    Why don't you have to pay anything for the dealer to check it and fix it?
    Did you purchase an extended warranty of some type?
    Most posters said it cost $80-90 just for the diagnostic (takes around 1-3 min) and have to pay for the fix, unless it is the seat belt or buckle.

Thanks,
    Buffalo4
    PS: I have a 2003 Odyssey EX-L

It is being under warranty because he has a seat belt problem. Seat belts are warrantied for life of the car. The rest of the SRS system isn't. That is why you need to get the code. As far as jumpering the pins together you stand a chance of damaging the PCM. That is why it is best to follow the manual. If you take it to the dealer and it is a seat belt problem he should not charge you the service charge. Anything else is up to the individual dealer.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

2003 Ody EX-L
    Well I got the codes from a friend's (mechanic) scanner.
    First it read:
    F2-11 Rt front airbag and rt front seat belt tensioner deployed.
    (This may have been from the accident the vehicle was in before I bought it. It suffered rt front end damage when it slid into a guard rail. Howeve, the air bag did not deploy (not sure if there was a passenger along or not).
    53-33 Internal Failure of SRS Unit.

The SRS light originally came on about a year after I had purchased the Ody.

I then cleared the codes and the SRS light went out.
    When I started the engine, the SRS light came back on and stayed on.
    I checked the codes again and it only output one. The 53-33 code.

I then reset the code and the SRS light went out. However, it came back on when I restarted the engine.

Any ideas on what could cause this besides a bad SRS Unit?
    I live around 100 miles from a Honda dealer and I would like to exhaust all other possible causes for this code (53-33) before I spend all that money and time to get the SRS Unit replaced.

Also, while I was using that code reader, I (sitting in the driver's seat) leaned back and reached into the area behind the passenger seat and the passenger sliding door opened by itself. Any possible connection between the two. I now leave the Master switch for the sliding doors in the OFF position.

Thanks again for any thoughts.
    Buffalo4

Did you reset the light on your 03 Odyssey using the method that is show a lot on this site (Jumper wire, MES connector), because in the manual it lists for 03-04 odysseys the only way to clear the SRS light is to use the HDS system. It shows you can only use the jumper method with 99-02 odysseys. Wondering if you had the luck resetting it with the jumper method, because I cannot get it to work on my 04 Odyssey, and have tried numerous times (The jumper wire method)

I reset the SRS using my friend's (mechanic) professional type reader. I did not try to do it by jumpering any pins.
    I had bough a reconditioned SRS unit off ebay and when I finally got to where I could get to the SRS unit in the car, I realized the unit off ebay was for a 2002 model, although I had stated I had a 2003 vehicle. I didn't do it within the exchange period so I now have a 2002 SRS unit available. I have not fixed the problem yet. Damn, that SRS unit location looks tough to get the mounting screws (bolts) out.
    Someday, I may actually get the right SRS unit and replace it.
    Buffalo4

Two weeks ago I took the wife's 2004 in to the dealer for the ignition recall. While it was there I had them check the SRS system as the light has been of 2 or 3 years now. They determined that it was a bad passenger side seat belt tensioner and had to order the part, it was under warranty. Went back for the install and left the dealer with no SRS light any more!

That lasted 2 days.

Took it back last Monday and they kept it all week, their SRS reader cable had been damaged and it took them longer than expected to get a new one from Honda (go figger!) Got a call last night that the module was good but the right side SRS wiring harness was bad and would cost $1400 to replace, it's not under warranty. HA!
    Currently unemployed so that's not going to happen. I can replace it myself if I can get a used one.

Anyone else ever had this problem or even heard of it?
    2004 SageBrush Pearl EX

2003 BMW 525 5 speed Sport Wagon Japan Red

1972 Datsun 510 Wagon 5 speed V6 orange

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements