P0141 (o2 sensor heater circuit malfunction, bank 1, sensor 2)
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: P0141 (o2 sensor heater circuit malfunction, bank 1, sensor 2)

P0141 (o2 sensor heater circuit malfunction, bank 1, sensor 2)

I had a P0420 code, so I replaced the catalytic converter. The P0420 code came back so I replaced the o2 sensor that goes inside the catalytic converter. Upon installing the new (Denso) o2 sensor, I'm getting this P0141 code which I'm confused about.

What sensor is "bank 1 sensor 2" referring to? Has anyone seen this code or know a solution to it?

I have a 2000 Odyssey EX with 164,000 miles.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I think P0141 is the one that screws into the cat. Are you sure the connector is seated properly? Did you get the generic Denso or direct fit? Also on the cat replacement, is it aftermarket because folks seem to have issues with them.
    Mike
    2000 Odyssey LX
    Trans at 82k -- Tru-cool trans cooler
    DIY Timing Belt at 104k
    Hidden Hitch & Airlift 1000's

You have a code for the heater circuit in one of the O2 sensors - this is usually from the heater burning out, which can easily be checked with an ohmmeter. It could be an open circuit anywhere (which is what the computer is detecting most likely), so I'd check the connector at both O2 sensors as well.

I'm pretty sure that sensor 2 is the post-cat converter also.
    2001 Odyssey EX 192K miles, 85K on the 3rd tranny, now running Dex III ATF with Lubegard Friction Modifier (black bottle)

I purchased a Denso OE direct fit o2 sensor but my cat is aftermarket :/

Thanks for the help. I'm going to look at both o2 sensors to see what the deal is and maybe replace sensor 2 to see if that works

Why not diagnose the problem instead of throwing parts at it. Did you have the Po141 code when you had the P0420? A bad O2 sensor can cause the p0420. P0141 is an O2 heater open code. Use a voltmeter or ohmmeter to check out the O2 sensor in the converter. If it started when you replaced the old one or converter chances are the wiring got screwed up. Use a voltmeter or ammeter to check it out.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

So I feel like a big dummy!

The connector on the O2 sensor wasn't "snapped into place fully" with the end in the van. I had to use a screwdriver to get the two connections to fully connect. It's a pain to connect some of these O2 sensors because you need small hands to get in there. After that the P0141 went away. However, the P0420 came back again. I'm thinking it's because I installed an aftermarket catalytic converter. I tried so I'm not going to worry about it.

I have bigger issues to worry about :/ Namely, a stripped oil pan where the drain plug threads in. I used a longer bolt so it can be tightened, but it's still dripping a tad. Might have to replace the oil pan which I hear involves a lot of labor.

Thank you all for the help!

Google 'oil drain plug repair'. There are repair kits to repair it.
    2004 EX Odyssey.

I installed a longer drain plug that I ordered from Fastenal but I'm still getting minor drippage. I may have to add a quart of oil every 3000 miles because this leak is barely noticeable, just oily residue around the drain plug. Right now I'm using standard aluminum washers.

I googled 'oil drain plug repair' and came across a company called SureSeal that sells a drain plug with a special o-ring attached to it. I was thinking about giving this a shot since it's a $7.95 part. I also read that using a fiber washer might help. I guess Toyotas use fiber washers and rarely have stripped threads. Why would this provide a better seal? It it because fiber washers don't compress as much as aluminum ones? Autozone sells aluminum washers with rubber on the inside portion, this might give a better seal too. So I'm probably going to try a couple more things to eliminate the oil drip. If all this fails, then the oil pan may have to go :/ It looks like a biznitch to get off too.

Btw, I read that many Honda oil pans are vulnerable to stripped threads over time. Honda Oil Pan Drain Plug Thread Repair My Odyssey has 164,000 miles so it has seen it's fair share of oil changes.

I put a Fumoto valve on my 04. Eliminates all the pressure on the threads.
    As for the po420 have someone analyze it with a good scanner.
    Last edited by William Wiles; 02-14-2012 at 03:28 PM.
    2004 EX Odyssey.

nreichwa: Look at the other threads here on using a spark plug non-fouler on the rear O2 sensor to eliminate that code. Has been working on my 2001 (original converter) for 1.5 years now. YMMV
    2001 Odyssey EX 192K miles, 85K on the 3rd tranny, now running Dex III ATF with Lubegard Friction Modifier (black bottle)

Late August 2012 I replaced my Cat converter with a after market - mid Sept I replaced my post cat o2 sensor. All was good until this week when the chkengine lite came back on. Orginally there was a P0136, P0138 and P0141. I reset the errors with my OBI reader and now I only get a P0141 usually within 5 seconds of resetting it.
    Suggestions? Bad post cat O2 sensor again? Thanks!

Either bad post CAT O2 sensor or wiring to the O2 sensor. Since you had got all three errors, it could be bad connection or wiring fault. why was the original sensor replaced? did you keep the old one?

Went back to the place that I bought it in Sept and found out it had a lifetime warranty - it took forever to get the defective one off where it makes the electrical connection. New one is on and touch metal this will last longer that four months. Thx for the help guys.
    Boomer

16. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements