2002 Odyssey Front Strut and Control Arm replacement - front end rattle noise
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2002 Odyssey Front Strut and Control Arm replacement - front end rattle noise

2002 Odyssey Front Strut and Control Arm replacement - front end rattle noise

Hey all,
    I have been enduring a front end rattle for a while now on my 2002 Honda Odyssey (156k miles - new free warranty trannie at just over 60k miles). It rattled when I hit bumps. There were no noises when turning (except when going over bumps). It was 85k miles since a strut replacement. The ball joint and other control arm bushings were original factory. The struts still looked ok, no oil leaking. The ball joint even looked ok, it was the control arm bushings that were torn up. I could see at least that much during my initial inspection.

Decided to get new pre-assembled struts and springs from monroe. I also bought new control arms with all new bushings pre-installed. The total cost was $505 bucks (on-line). I have most of the right tools and even had a couple competent helpers (dad and neighbor)!

I replaced the struts on passenger side first, then the control arm on same side. Once completed, I did the same on the drivers side in the same order. I did not want to take off the control arm and the strut at the same time to help keep things in place and not flopping around. I have never done this before, so it took a little while to figure out the tricks. I know enough from mx bike repair that if it is too hard, you are doing something wrong. Try a different tactic. Finally got it worked out and spent 4.5 hours on one side. It took only 3 on the other but I was getting tired.

End result was great. No major issues taking anything apart or putting them back together. It was a little tricky sometimes, but persistence pays off. Fixed the rattling sound.

Saved a bundle keeping the old girl going.

nola_fiddy

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Good work! Using the strut assembly makes this project manageable for DIY. Did the van need an alignment after it was all buttoned up?
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

I do need to get the van aligned. It is now pulling a little to the right. I will take it in this weekend to get the alignment done by a professional. Other than that, it is riding and steering so much better than before.

The back bushing on both my control arms have torn rubber so I'll need to do this eventually. I already replaced the struts and end-links a few months ago. Was replacing the struts or the control arms the tricky part?
    Last edited by 6-Speed; 04-13-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Hello
    new to this site and need to know
    I just had my control arsm replaced on my honda odyssey for about $875 and need to know how bad i got boned.
    Anybody?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Talbot View Post
    Hello
    new to this site and need to know
    I just had my control arsm replaced on my honda odyssey for about $875 and need to know how bad i got boned.
    Anybody?
    Thanks
    If you take it to a shop or dealership, a pair of OE control arms list for about $600 with tax and about $400 on the net, but after market replacement parts are around $200/pr depends on what year model van. However, it's about $50 for all 4 replacement bushings which you can just replace them if the arms are not rusted out. Also, you may need to pay for an alignment afterward if needed. So you can figure which option is best for you plus labor.

For DIYers without a press (around $50 to to have someone replace the bushings), it is bout $160 total including bushing cost and alignment.
    Bruce

02' ex 245k+ miles

I had to replace the sway bar bushings on mine to get rid of the front end clunk when traveling over bumps.
    01 Odyssey EX 62K Miles (02/16/09)

I replaced the control arm bushings but the rattle persisted. Then I replaced the caliper bolt as discussed here and it cured the rattle:Front caliper rattle follow up

By the way, I urge you to use a shop press for the bushings or take the control arms and new bushings to a garage that has a press. Some have claimed that it can be done with a vise but I tried and ruined one bushing before I opted to let the garage do it.

10. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements