Sea foam to save tranny?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sea foam to save tranny?

Sea foam to save tranny?

Last night my transmission in my 01 got stuck in 4th gear coming off an hour on the interstate. I've known the transmission was on its way to failure, but now I'm worried about driving any farther. A buddy suggested we sea foam the transmission and flush the fluid. Will sea foam potentially unclog the lines mentioned in the "root cause...fix" thread if that's the problem? I know I need to have the transmission rebuilt or replaced, but I'm not currently financially able to do so - is there any hope? It seems the van only really acts up after long highway trips. If I stay at 60 mph and do the sea foam, can I get a few more weeks out of this? Otherwise I may be forced to sell the van. I'm not even sure I'd get enough on a 164k non-working transmission van to make it worth it.
    To be clear, I checked the fluid several times recently - no burning or black fluid. Is it possible clogged lines are storing good fluid in a area before the clogged lines and before where it needs to be going?
    oh dreaded day...

I can at least take some splice in knowing I have this forum to keep me company.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I would not even bother with the Seaform. It's possible that you have debris clogging some of the solenoid valve screens, and by mechanically cleaning out those you may be able to eek a few more miles out of the tranny before rebuild time. Seafoam or any other form of solvent will not clean out these screens and may only help to dislodge more gunk which will only add to the problem.

There are plenty of other transmission threads that discuss how to clean out the screens and you may want to read these for some guidance, and also to search for your exact symptoms to see what others have done.
    2001 Odyssey EX 175K miles, 70K on the 3rd tranny, now running Dex III ATF with Lubegard Friction Modifier (black bottle)

From a thread I read on Acurazine, someone use trans tune seafoam and said it work wonder for his limpy tranny, haven't try it myself. But before you getting a replacement, might as well give it a try.

217k 99 tl trans fix - AcuraZine Community
    2001 Odyssey

So I just reread my own post - "solace," not "splice." Anyway, I just did the screen cleaning as suggested in the "root cause and fix" forum, as well as changing (only the pan's) transmission fluid and added some trans-x (basically sea foam.) The test drive was FAR better than the driving before. The shifts no longer went up to 4000-4500rpm and they were a little smoother - not perfect, but better. Hopefully this process bought me some time before I have to replace the transmission.
    I love this forum. I'm a little angry at my Odyssey at the moment - kinda like a spouse. I love it, but this spout is going to take some time to get over or solve...

6. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements