Consequence of broken engine mounts?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Consequence of broken engine mounts?

Consequence of broken engine mounts?

Dealership told me that the engine mounts of my '03 Ody are broken. They want $450 to fix.

However, I don't feel anything abnormal when driving. What would be the consequence of driving with broken mounts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Regardless of which one(s) are broken, the stress will be increased on the other good mounts. If the rear main mount is broken, it will put increased strain on the transmission housing. I have had this repair done on my '04, as well. Leaving it un-repaired may not have immediate consequences, but will eventually cause other parts to fail as well. I think of it as an "ounce of prevention". YMMV. Replacing the mounts is labor intensive, the parts themselves are not that expensive (I think around $50).

I'd ask them to show you the mounts that need replacing, you have 4. The passenger side mount is easy to replace. Is $450 to replace all 4? If the do it, I'd like to see all 4 mounts that they take out and replace. Call me doubtful that all 4 are shot.

Here are the motor mounts from RockAuto: 2002 HONDA ODYSSEY Motor Mount

Do you feel a clunk when you shift into D or R? Open the hood, start the engine, and see if the engine moves very much when you shift from D to R to D, ....
    Last edited by aaronm; 05-12-2012 at 02:43 PM.
    2002 Odyssey 160K, 1st tranny rebuild at 129K
    '89 Honda Goldwing
    '89 Mercedes 190 2.6L

I checked my Honda dealer invoices. I've replaced at one time or another the front motor mount, rear motor mount, and right side mount. The front mount cost $497 ($350 labor), the rear mount cost $505 ($400 labor), and the right side mount cost $259 ($170 labor). My Odyssey had ~56,000 miles at the time that it needed an new front mount.

So, I'm guessing that just one of your mounts is broken, most likely either the front or rear for the $450 rate they are quoting. But expect it to be a bit higher, if that was a verbal price quote.

Quote Originally Posted by kcknebel View Post
    I checked my Honda dealer invoices. I've replaced at one time or another the front motor mount, rear motor mount, and right side mount. The front mount cost $497 ($350 labor), the rear mount cost $505 ($400 labor), and the right side mount cost $259 ($170 labor). My Odyssey had ~56,000 miles at the time that it needed an new front mount.

So, I'm guessing that just one of your mounts is broken, most likely either the front or rear for the $450 rate they are quoting. But expect it to be a bit higher, if that was a verbal price quote.
    kcknebel ..... RUN DO NOT walk away from that dealer. Youhave been totally taken advantage of. Holy crap.... It is literally insane what youhave paid for motor mounts. Go to an independant shop for any and all future repairs. And, Do not ever buy a new car from that place

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Seems to me that replacing motor mounts prematurely could be seen as a similar service as a fuel injection cleaning - paying for a service that is not usually necessary.

Maybe I am lucky, but my 11 year old Odyssey (80K miles) has the original motor mounts with no symptoms.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Yikes! Another Honda with bad engine mounts.
    Dealership told me that the engine mounts of my '03 Ody are broken. They want $450 to fix.
    I do not think this is the price to replace all 5. Maybe the front and one more.
    My rear went obviously bad before the front. But maybe all were bad for a long time.

All 3 of my engine mounts and all 2 of my transmission mounts were shot by 105K. Miles. FYI the low cost I found for a front mount if a genuine Honda part without labor costs about $128 at ebay dealer price before shipping, tax. Others mounts are less.
    It is true. One bad mount can stress the others. The front one fails by leaking and getting loose. The others rubber part tears and engine moves too much. The rear is hardest to change. Front less hard. Right is easy. Two trans mounts more difficult than right mount.
    Symptoms, loud clunks, squeaks and engine moving up more than an inch in gear forward or reverse with brakes on car stopped. Hardly ever had to change a mount in any old car. Never had to change all mounts on anything. But then, never had to change the transmission on the old Taurus either where it was necessary for Odyssey.

My 99 Ody has almost 335,000 kms on it and never replaced an engine mount. Still maintained by dealer as per schedule. I have never heard of replacing mounts before...is this a problem with the Ody, or is this normal? What causes them to fail?
    99 Odyssey EX - 360,000 kms and counting.

My dealer quoted me something like $950 to replace front and side mounts. I bought all 5 mounts from Majestic for a little over $300. I did the two that needed it at the time and held on to the other 3. When my rear mount went bad, I did the tranny mounts at the same time. One of the them was bad as well, but not really providing any symptoms.

The side one is easy, the front is moderate and the rear is a real pain, but doable. An appropriate Odyssey subscription to ALLDATAdiy.com Leading Source of Factory Automotive Repair Information and some of the DIY threads here on Odyclub will lead you through it step by step. I estimate that I easily saved myself between $500 and $1000 on labor by doing it myself. A good collection of ratchet extensions, socket adapters and knuckles comes in handy as well. On the front and rear, you will be working in some tight spaces.

In total, I probably spent 8 - 10 hours replacing the 5 mounts.

I am trying to buy front and rear motor mount for a 2006 odyssey, Checking Majectic Honda, I found that the price for the EXL parts is $400 each, when the price for the EX & LX is $80 each, Does anybody know why this huge difference?
    EXL 50830-SFY-023 RUBBER ASSY., FR. ENGINE MOUNTING (ACM) $399
    EXL 50810-SHJ-A62 RUBBER ASSY., RR. ENGINE MOUNTING (ACM) $400
    EX & LX 50810-SHJ-A00 RUBBER ASSY., RR. ENGINE MOUNTING $82
    EX & LX 50830-SHJ-305 RUBBER ASSY., FR. ENGINE MOUNTING $80

Quote Originally Posted by avendanios View Post
    I am trying to buy front and rear motor mount for a 2006 odyssey, Checking Majectic Honda, I found that the price for the EXL parts is $400 each, when the price for the EX & LX is $80 each, Does anybody know why this huge difference?
    EXL 50830-SFY-023 RUBBER ASSY., FR. ENGINE MOUNTING (ACM) $399
    EXL 50810-SHJ-A62 RUBBER ASSY., RR. ENGINE MOUNTING (ACM) $400
    EX & LX 50810-SHJ-A00 RUBBER ASSY., RR. ENGINE MOUNTING $82
    EX & LX 50830-SHJ-305 RUBBER ASSY., FR. ENGINE MOUNTING $80
    I know this is old, but thought I'd add an answer. The EX-L and Touring models have the J35A7 engine which uses Variable Cylinder Management (VCM), which requires an actively controlled motor mount, thus the extra costs. The LX and EX have the J35A6 engine which does not have VCM and so uses a standard motor mount design.
    2006 Honda Odyssey EX

Quote Originally Posted by hmkim View Post

However, I don't feel anything abnormal when driving. What would be the consequence of driving with broken mounts?

+1 to the additional stress on the other mounts. In addition, the exhaust flex pipe
    will receive more stress and may become compromised if it's aged.
    2003 Odyssey EX 182K
    Original tranny (Honda OEM tranny cooler since new, AMSOIL ATF)
    DIY Timing Belt at 136K
    Motorad 302-180 Thermostat

1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
    1983 Honda Nighthawk CB 650SC
    1963 Piaggio Allstate
    1958 Ford PowerMaster 861

Quote Originally Posted by hmkim View Post

Mounts are usually made of heavy chunk of rubber with metal attachments. When they break, the rubber usually doesn't go completely, instead it starts cracking and ripping. If left unattended, it will tear completely, but even then it's still OK to drive, because the remaining pieces of rubber will still absorb some engine vibration, so it won't be metal-hits-metal.

Having said that, there is a value in timely replacement of mounts: a) worn mounts increase wear on pretty much all engine parts due to excessive vibration, and b) the car feels less pleasant to drive due to all vibration, especially it shows when you start the car.

What I would say you should do (and I did the same thing a few months ago): your car is 10-11 years old. You are likely to have all mounts in bad shape - either torn or cracked. At any rate, you will end up having to replace them all. Buy full set on ebay or amazon. I personally got this one. Have mechanic replace them all at once. Shoot for 250-300 bucks for the job. It looks like a lot of money, but it's not, considering that you will not have to touch them for another 5-10 years. With that in mind, if dealer will fix ALL of them for 450 - it's a good deal, otherwise keep in mind, you will sometimes soon replace them all anyway.

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements