2000 Odyssey misfire, codes p0300-306 and P1399
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2000 Odyssey misfire, codes p0300-306 and P1399

2000 Odyssey misfire, codes p0300-306 and P1399

Hello all,

I have spent the last few weekends trying to find the culprit for my misfire codes (P0300-306 and P1399), but no luck finding the issue. I have a 2000 Honda Odyssey EX w/ 135,000 miles. I am starting to suspect the fuel pump/filter but want to be sure before buying a new one. So far I have done:

1. Checked for bad coils (unplug while running test)
    2. Cleaned EGR port
    3. Replaced EGR Valve
    4. Checked valve clearance (within spec)
    5. Checked spark plugs (all normal wear and gap within spec), just replaced them last year with OEM NGK plugs
    6. Run a can of Seafoam through the gas tank
    7. New air filter

The air and spark paths have checked out ok so that must mean the fuel supply is the culprit. Has anyone changed their fuel pump/filter as a result of the misfire codes? I've searched the forums for a couple weeks now and can't find an exact match. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Jason

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I just checked the resistance of each fuel injector and all are within spec ~12 ohms each. Maybe the fuel pressure regulator? Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you!

-Jason

GLP
    Measure fuel pressure before replacing anything in the fuel system. Also, does your diagnostic scanner capture any other data besides the codes? If so, look at fuel trim (LTFT). High fuel trim (greater than 10%) is an indication of insufficient fuel supply (low fuel pressure, clogged injectors) so the injectors have to stay open longer to compensate. If your fuel trim is normal (mine is usually +/-3%) then the fuel mixture is probably ok.
    2003 Odyssey EX-L

GLP - can you do this with a basic $40 Actron OBDII scanner?

As a basic DIY car guy I buy into the simple low fuel pressure test as something that could trigger general misfire. But what kind of tester do you need for testing trim? Please forgive my ignorance. Just interested in knowing what you need to use.

FWIW - I have seen a general misfire in a 2000 Corolla from a malfunctioning Idle control valve.

Unfortunately my scanner is not that fancy. I'm taking it to the dealer to get checked out (I give up). I guess the timing could be off as well as the service manager said they rarely have issues with the fuel systems in the odyssey. He insisted that the valve train is usually the problem. I'll post an update when I get it. Thanks!

-Jason

Under what conditions do you get a misfire? Idling, acceleration, high speed, all the time, rarely? Cold conditions, hot conditions?

I'm not convinced you've ruled out a borderline coil, but that'd just be a W.A. Guess.
    2002 Odyssey 160K, 1st tranny rebuild at 129K
    '89 Honda Goldwing
    '89 Mercedes 190 2.6L

Well it idles rough when I start it and sometimes stumbles pretty bad when I start it after it has been sitting. As I said though, all the plugs look really good when I pulled them, so if it was a bad coil would the plugs give me a clue which coil it was (not sure)? It could be a bad coil, but it is intermittent if it is.

Change of heart on taking it to the dealer. I haven't been to a mechanic for any of my cars for 5 or 6 years and don't want to start now. Anyway, I will keep at it and post any updates. Thanks for all the input!

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jhouchin View Post
    Well it idles rough when I start it and sometimes stumbles pretty bad when I start it after it has been sitting. As I said though, all the plugs look really good when I pulled them, so if it was a bad coil would the plugs give me a clue which coil it was (not sure)? It could be a bad coil, but it is intermittent if it is.
    You should be able to find the offending cylinder when it is behaving badly. Rough idling definitely implies one of the cylinder not contributing its fair share. If you have very trustworthy partner (who is NOT after the insurance money :-), have him/her sit in the car and apply parking brake and regular brake with car in the drive while you disconnect one wire at a time. The person sitting in the car would immediately notice drop/lack of drop of engine rpm under the load. Come to think of it, load it up with high beam headlight and rear defroster too.

My guess is on a bad coil (or two).

- Vikas

Jason,
    I'm with sontakke, sounds like a bad coil, one bad coil could give you multiple misfire codes. My van has 153,000 miles and I went ahead and replaced all the coils when I found a bad one. Do you know someone else with an odyssey or pilot that would let you swap one coil at a time?

Does it run ok after it warms up? From your response to aaronm one can venture a guess that the stumbling goes away in time.

Also, below is a thread in this forum that suggests checking the idle air control valve. It is a simple test for basic operation. Unplug it and see how it runs. It is on the bottom of the throttle body and the back side of the connector is the only one that points towards the front radiator.

If there is no change it is worth the time to clean it out from the ports inside the throttle body through which the unit regulates bypasses air at start-up. May not be your problem but it can throw the general and individual misfire codes if gunked up or no longer functioning. The Corolla (mentioned in an earlier post) ended up requiring the unit be replaced as the electromagnet was functioning sporatically. Taking it off is a pain. Try the cleaning with carb cleaner first if there is no change when you pull the connector off on start-up. Also, Corolla ran great with defective IACV after warm up.

Engine Misfire codes Replaced just about everything

Thank you all for the input. I did the coil test of unplugging each coil to notice a drop in rpm, but the test was in park. Does the vehicle need to be in drive? I think I'll check the IAC valve and buy a new coil and rotate it around the engine to see if the problem goes away. The idle is always rough, but not so much after the engine warms up. Thanks again everyone, have a great weekend.

-Jason

I'm not sure if the van needs to be in park, but it probably needs to be acting up (misfiring) while you unplug the coils one by one.
    2002 Odyssey 160K, 1st tranny rebuild at 129K
    '89 Honda Goldwing
    '89 Mercedes 190 2.6L

Buying a new one and then rotating it or variation of that theme is a perfectly good way to figure out a bad coil.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements