Constant Clicking Noise when AC runs
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Constant Clicking Noise when AC runs

Constant Clicking Noise when AC runs

I have a 2000 Odyssey with 145000 miles. I have noticed the AC is not blowing cold air unless the car is moving. The rear AC seems to be blowing colder air than the front. I checked the pressure on the AC low side and it is fine so there is enough refrigerant in the system. Today, I noticed that when I turn my AC on, there is a constant clicking in the engine area. When I turn off the AC, the clicking stops. Is this a sign my compressor is going out or already gone? I pray it isn't! Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I believe this thread is relavent
    2003 Ody A/C Issue. Any advice?

I took my car to get the AC checked out. He confirmed that the AC compressor was bad. The quote he gave me to replace the compressor, the dryer, the condenser, and flushing the system and recharging the system was $1155 + tax. I considered doing it myself (replacing the compressor and the condenser), but figured that I am such an amateur that I would mess it up and cost a lot more.

Well I am sorry to hear that you had to get a whole new system, but you did do the right thing taking it to a shop. Unless you know what you are doing working on AC you are wasting time and money. I found that one out the hard way. I guess that means the clicking you were hearing was the compressor clutch short cycling. That is a sign it was low on refrigerant and if it was low then it probably had a leak.

If it is low on refrigerant, would a can of refrigerant be a foolish thing to attempt? Of course, if it's cold enough in the rear, this implies that most is working correctly. What about the front fan motor? This is all a single system with two evaporators, correct?

This thread: 2000 Ody EX - possible front blower replacement needed?!? just came in today, referring to a similar problem. Working when moving smacks of fan motor troubles, considerably less than $1100. Without the fan running, the compressor would cycle to avoid freezing up (does it do it with the rear fan on?)
    Last edited by Kurzweil33; 06-04-2012 at 04:45 PM.

7. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements