Stripped Bolt on EGR Cover
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stripped Bolt on EGR Cover

Stripped Bolt on EGR Cover

I over-torqued one of the 10 bolts (left bottom corner on the easy-off cover) and sheered off the head. Tried to extract the bolt but the diameter is too small and the extractor wouldn't catch so now I have to drill it out.

First, will it leak with just 9 bolts? If it's not critical, can I leave it as-is? Second, anyone experience this prob and do I basically drill it out and retap? If so, what size tap?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Can you use a small dremel grinding bit to cut a small slot in it? Just enough to spin it out with a screwdriver, it shouldn't take much to spin it out. Sometimes you can super glue something to the end and spin them out. I've also welded a nut to one that was broken just above the metal.
    Mike
    2000 Odyssey LX
    Trans at 82k -- Tru-cool trans cooler
    DIY Timing Belt at 104k
    Hidden Hitch & Airlift 1000's

Good idea, but after drilling the pilot hole for the extractor bit there's nothing left to slot.

Those bolts don't take much torque. If you're going to do any wrenching on your cars you should consider investing in a few torque wrenches.

There are very small screw extractors to be had from places like Ace Hardware, or even the big stores like Lowe's.

I would look on ebay for a left hand drill bit. 1/16" is too small, you'll break it. 3/32" may be too big, so I would aim for 5/64", but that is just me...hard to tell without actually measuring it, though I do remember they were pretty small bolts when I last did this job.

For a broken alternator mounting bolt on our 2002, we actually bought a set of left-hand (reverse flute) bits to drill out. The positive part of all this was that as I drilled deeper into the broken bolt, the combination of generated heat, vibration, and friction in the bore hole twisted the threaded remains out. That's the beauty of a left hand bit...it won't "tighten" the broken fastener any more than it already is while you are drilling on it, since it is rotating counterclockwise, or "lefty-loosy". Conventional right-hand drill bits can actually add to the torque you've already applied to the broken fastener, making it more difficult to remove.

A couple decent torque wrenches is the way to go for wrenching on any car. I've broken enough fasteners on various items (not just cars) over the years where I finally bit the bullet and started acquiring them as they went on sale.

Sorry to hear about all this. I actually think you may be okay with the missing fastener, but I am truly not a fan of operating for a prolonged time without all of them in place.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Is there a leak? If not, leave it alone! I don't think you are having an intake leak with one out of ten bolt missing on the easy access egr cover. If I were in your shoes, I will forget about the incident and carry on. Frankly I can not come up with any good engineering reason as to why there are that many bolts on the so called "ant farm".
    Last edited by sontakke; 10-25-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the comments. Made me feel better after flubbing this rather simple project in the first place. I wished I knew about the left hand bits or slotting the bolt before destroying the remaining threads. Only option left to repair is drilling it out. However, since I risk damaging the valve cover, I will let sleeping dogs lie.

+1 on left hand drill bits. If no leaks then let it go but it may seep at some point so monitor it. Hopefully the metal in that spot won't warp from the heat of the engine.

When it comes to small bolts I either use a 1/4 ratchet that is short or really choke up on my 3/8". Been a long time since I broke one when tightening using this technique.
    Mike
    2000 Odyssey LX
    Trans at 82k -- Tru-cool trans cooler
    DIY Timing Belt at 104k
    Hidden Hitch & Airlift 1000's

Thanks, what's the best way to check for leaks?

foggeddaboutit

once again I can not think of any good reason why Honda put 10 small bolts there; even intake manifold had less number of fasteners on 99-01 vans! And those were all 12mm.

12. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements