Broke one bolt after EGR cleaning. Will the sealing be OK?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Broke one bolt after EGR cleaning. Will the sealing be OK?

Broke one bolt after EGR cleaning. Will the sealing be OK?

Wow! Thank you all your guys! I finally get the cabin filter replaced and EGR port cleaned! Both of them are just too dirty, especially for the EGR ports. All of those passages are >70% clogged. Unbelievable. So I'm expecting a good improvement in the MPG.

BUT, while I put the cover on, I broke one of the bolts, the upper right one. I just twisted it too tightly! Really bad. Will it be OK in this case? Do I have to worry about the sealing?

BTW: Happy new year!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

It is probably ok since there are so many of them besides that one. But I would first to see I you can replace that bolt which depends on where it is broken. If after removing the cover you still can't put a pair of pliers on it to twist it out, leave it along. Drilling it out may be a little difficult to you since you are new with tools.

Thanks, it looks, for me, impossible to drill it out. So I just leave it as it is. Didn't know it's so easy to break a bolt and will be more careful in the future.

But free content to have the EGR cleaned! Will wait for the spark plugs and then change it.

Anything else should I replace or clean, for a 10 yo Ody with 151k mileage?

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Xie View Post
    Thanks, it looks, for me, impossible to drill it out. So I just leave it as it is. Didn't know it's so easy to break a bolt and will be more careful in the future.

But free content to have the EGR cleaned! Will wait for the spark plugs and then change it.

Anything else should I replace or clean, for a 10 yo Ody with 151k mileage?
    Definitely do NOT overtighten the spark plugs when you do them. Learn from your broken bolt that all bolts have a recommended torque.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Buy and use 1/4 ratchet when you are working under the hood. If not at least try to have shorter 3/8 ratchet or get in the habit of holding the ratchet close to the head and never more than 6" if you are under the hood. You also don't need to use both your hands to tighten most of the under hood fasteners.

Just got those plugs changed. What else can I do, after air and cabin filters changed, EGR port cleaned and not plugs changed?

8. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements