02 Odyssey Alternator Bracket Breaking
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 02 Odyssey Alternator Bracket Breaking

02 Odyssey Alternator Bracket Breaking

Hi,
    I am getting ready to replace the alternator bracket for the third time. Was told it might be due to the worn motor mounts. Replaced the mounts two weeks ago as well as replaced the bracket at the same time. Bracket just broke yesterday. I replaced the tensioner about a month ago. When running, everything looks aligned with no wobbling as far as I can tell. Wondering if anyone has had this problem. Don't know if the tensioner is able to be adjusted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Suggest only OEM Honda belt and components be used. Use correct torque on the bracket bolts. Search on "alternator bracket" for more info.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Went to the Honda parts department and asked if they have ever heard of the bracket breaking this many times. He said that he has not. I asked if there is any kind of warranty on the part. He saw when I bought the last one and said that they would warranty it for me. He did not charge for the third bracket. If this happens to anyone else, do ask for some kind of warranty. I did buy a Honda belt this time. Hopefully, this will work. I will follow up and post the results after a few weeks. Thanks!!!

Here is information from Honda on this issue.

See page 2 of the May 2004 Honda Service News:

Broken Alternator Bracket or Bracket Mounting Bolt
    http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SN/A040500.pdf
    http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/A040500.PDF

Honda Tech Line Summary Article:

Broken alternator bracket or lower mounting bolt
    http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/ATS040402.PDF
    http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/p.../ATS040402.PDF
    2008 Odyssey Touring non-PAX
    Silver Pearl Metallic w/ Black Interior
    Mobil 1 5W-20 with Honda Oil Filter 15400-PLM-A01 or 15400-PLM-A02
    Shell (or other Top-Tier Gas)
    Honda Care 6yr/120K from Bernardi Honda
    WeatherTech FloorLiner (1st, 2nd, 3rd Row)
    WeatherTech Cargo Liner (Coverage Area: Behind 2nd Seat)

TSBs applied: 07-045 (Brake Pedal Is Low and Feels Soft), 08-080 (Wind Noise or Rattle From Front Doors), 09-053 (Product Update: Lock-Up Clutch Judders Between 2045 MPH / PCM Update for Lock-Up Clutch Function), 10-024 (No XM Sound, But XM Station Information Is Displayed)

Safety Recalls applied: 10-017 (Air In VSA Modulator-Control Unit Causes Low/Soft Brake Pedal)

Warranty Repairs: Torque converter replaced at 38,349 miles, Water passage replaced at 38,349 miles, HOSE A, WATER, HOSE C, WATER, and RUBBER, THERMOSTAT MOUNTING replaced at 39,673 miles. Second software update (unreleased and released) applied to PCM

The above .pdf linked documents are so true. After my wife hit another vehicle with her 2002 EX, the body shop had to remove and re-install the alternator to facilitate other work. Well, they did not tighten the lower bolt or bracket bolts to the proper torque. Lower bolt broke, and that upper bracket fractured. I installed new parts, same identical breakages happened yet again because I could not fit a torque wrench in on that lower bolt.

Cannot remember what I did in terms of an extension to make that torque wrench fit (crow's foot? Can't recall), but I eventually did get the exact torque setting on that lower bolt and the bracket bolts, and it has now held up well for many years. I can't believe I could have been that far off in applied torque by just using a plain box end wrench, but this is one of those fastener sets that truly needs the exact specified torque on all fasteners. Too little or too much, and they will not hold up.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Well, after only a few days, the battery light comes on and off at certain times as if the alternator is not charging. Stays on for about ten seconds at the most, then goes off. This happened before the bracket broke the past times. This is so frustrating. Got the Honda belt on correctly. The only thing that I can think of after reading all the posts is that the torque may be off. I really can not see how that could be such a problem. I could not find my old torque wrench. Does Autozone or places like that let you borrow real quick to use in their parking lot? How or what has been used to get to the mounting bolt? I honestly can not think of anything else that would keep causing this. I really do not want to take it in since it does not happen every time it is driven. Had the alternator tested, and it was working fine.

Make sure you have good grounds.

You might want to try something like http://www.powersportsplace.com/part...2/media/images, of course, remember that attaching it to your torque wrench will change your calibration, so you have to recalculate with consideration to the attachement length

Just a follow up. It dawned on me that the lower bolt was not tight. Tightened it up, and not problems since. Duh.
    Thanks everyone!

I had the same issue with my '02. The original bracket broke at around 160,00 mi., but it had partially broken/split on one side earlier (it had rusted at the break - if you've seen one, you know what I mean) and later the other side. I replaced the bracket with an OEM part, but, like cpedrich, I failed to tighten the lower bolt! Argh! However, I am not sure what caused the original to break. The tensioner has never been replaced, and something was making a shrill sound even after I replaced the bracket, so something is worn. I do not believe the noise was coming from the belt. What tool do I need to get the tensioner bolt out? My 3/4" drive socket handle is not strong enough, and the space is narrow.

Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated.

I had the same issue with my '02. The original bracket broke at around 160,00 mi., but it had partially broken/split on one side earlier (it had rusted at the break - if you've seen one, you know what I mean) and later the other side. I replaced the bracket with an OEM part, but, like cpedrich, I failed to tighten the lower bolt! Argh! However, I am not sure what caused the original to break. The tensioner has never been replaced, and something was making a shrill sound even after I replaced the bracket, so something is worn. I do not believe the noise was coming from the belt. What tool do I need to get the tensioner bolt out? My 3/4" drive socket handle is not strong enough, and the space is narrow.

Any thoughts/suggestions will be much appreciated.

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements