Ac does not blow cool air properly (only blows cool air on max) Pls help!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ac does not blow cool air properly (only blows cool air on max) Pls help!

Ac does not blow cool air properly (only blows cool air on max) Pls help!

Hi guys,
    I am new to odyclub forum, and my honda is not blowing cool air. Its a 2000 Honda Odyssey with automatic dials, not manual. The front only blows cool air on 60 degrees (MAX) otherwise it just blow warm air. The rear blows cool air fine and the heat works great, what could be the problem? I replaced cabin filter and that didn't help. Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

This problem usually associates with stuck or broken heater valve or needs adjustment and that is the first thing I would. A search on heater valve will point you to lots of discussion and instruction on this subject.

Welcome to the board and please post back for how it goes.

Thx. Will look tommorow when its day and look at the valve. If you could provide more information like what exactly should i do to the valve or something, that would be great. Thx for the help.

The information in this thread may be helpful:

A/C not cool enough -- Found the problem!

I looked at the valve and it its angles toward the firewall at max (60). It does move when switching from 60 to 90, but im not sure if is moving correctly i have attached some images showing where the valve is at different temps. Please take a look and see if it is working correctly. Thanks
    90 degreesIMG_0302.jpg

80 degreesIMG_0303.jpg

70 degreesIMG_0304.jpg

finally 60(max cool)IMG_0306.jpg

It does look like the valve is being adjusted throughout its entire range. Do you feel a corresponding chage in temperature? Does your A/C compressor kick-in?

Im not sure if its the compressor but when i change the dial from 90 to something like 80 i hear something kick in. It kind sound like more power is being used. Im not sure if that the compressor. The fan speeds remains the same.

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Given the age of the van, I would get a leak test and recharge of refrigerant.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

I was hoping it was simple thing but ill probably have to do that. Also this morning the van was blowing hot not war air on 71 it was odd considering it was cool outside. Thanks for the help

Possibility that the heater control valve that you were looking at may be defective. Try pulling the clip that holds the cable down, unhook the cable and see if the arm of the valve has a definite "closed" position -- angled toward the firewall. With the system running, feel both sides of the hoses that lead into the valve -- with the valve closed, one should feel hot and the other cold. With the valve slightly open, the cold side hose should progressively get warmer. If this works properly, the problem is NOT the heater valve.

Try readjusting the cable. Look at the referenced thread for direction. This is done from beneath the passenger foot well area.

I took it to a shop for a free diagnostic and the guy said the a/c scharder valve is leaking. Its blowing small bubbles. To replace the part its like 22 bucks total. Sad thing is for 2 lbs of freon its going to be $64 and $78 for the labor and the machine. Does this sound reasonable too you guys. Does my odyssey even take freon? Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by mallicknick View Post
    Does my odyssey even take freon? Thanks for the help
    The Odyssey uses R-134a refrigerant.

Here are some info for you to see if you like to try yourself to save a few bucks.

ARTIC FREEZE R134A REFRIGERANT - 12 OZ. : Amazon.com : Automotive

Hope this helps,

if i may, there is now probably air in the system. using one of these do it youself kits may not be the best idea. the system needs to be vacumed out/fixed and recharged.
    there is a reason why these things are also known as death kits.
    Pete

Canadian working south of the border(to many K miles)
    2004 oddy exl 128K miles TB,Wp cw
    2007 accord exl-nav 4 cly std 68K miles

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Replace the leaking part and recharge the system - don't DIY - the A/C system and components are $$$ to replace and repair.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements