semi-synthetic vs non synthetic oils
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: semi-synthetic vs non synthetic oils

semi-synthetic vs non synthetic oils

Just bought a 200 Odyssey with 200 k miles . Love the van to death and think I got a great deal since it was well maintained and one-owner. My question is this....I am an aircraft mechanic....so I know a little about oil and I am leery of using synthetic oils in hi-milage vehicles (a local oil change company was made to replace my wife's Volvo engine for this very reason). ...So ,can I use a semi-synthetic or stick with dino-oil?....I dont wanna change the oil every 3 k but I sure as heck don't wanna clog the oil filter and smoke the engine........I understand 5w30 is what type I am to use.

Rod
    ps oil is very clean on dipstick and maintenance required lite just came on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

meant to say 2000 Honda Odyssey above.

I bought mine with 150,000 miles and switched to 0w30 immediately. Two years later no leaks. I think the newer synthetics have seal conditioners to prevent leaking.
    2004 TL
    2000 Ody

If you read your Owner's manual, your 2000's OCI is 7500 miles with dino oil.

There were several oil discussions on here earlier. Perhaps you can search them up and get your daily quota of entertainment as almost every oil thread starts with an innocent question and then just goes downhill from there. Welcome to the odyclub.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

If you are not comfortable in using synthetic don't use it since temperature variation is not that extreme in Tenn. Also, it is not necessary to change every 3000 miles on dino either. What I would do is change at the interval you desired and observe the condition of the oil. If you don't like it change a little sooner next time. If you still not sure you can send a sample to a lab for analysis.

However, I like to point out that I have been using full synthetic for years on all cars I have ever own and haven't had any problem with them due to oil.

Mobil 1 full synthetic for years after having used Castrol GTX dino for years. No problems. We get huge temperature swings in SW OK and most of my driving is in-town, start, drive 5 miles, stop...but I still go 7,500 miles on an oil change or longer. You can get by with dino oil in TN with the 7,500-mile interval.

Motorcraft semi-synthetic is highly regarded on the BITOG (Bob is the Oil Guy) forums.

Your owner's manual specifies 5W30 and SJ classification oil or better. Everything made these days is SM or higher (newest classification is SN), whether it is synthetic or dino.

In short, I don't think motor oil is a big concern with your 200,000-mile Odyssey, given how good any type of reputable brand motor oil is these days. Your closest focus should be on the transmission, since I think most any Honda V6 engine will easily outlast most any 1999-2004 transmission by a couple times over with any reputable oil brand, dino or synthetic in the engine's crankcase.

I'm one of those people who drains the ATF and refills the transmission sump with fresh ATF every time I change the engine oil. RinconVTR had Blackstone labs complete an analysis of his 2009's engine oil and ATF, and his treatise on this convinced me that this is a good idea on the less robust 1999-2004 A/T's. Here's the link: RinconVTR's Oil & ATF thread

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Thanks Odyfamily, your post is timely. Taking the Ody in shortly for service and will likely do a Blackstone ATF test for grins.

BTW, for a 2002, the recommended oil is 5w-20, and interval 7500 miles with filter only every 15k miles. I still do dino oil changes at 3-4k miles, including filter. Synthetic changes I do at 7,500 miles.

Yessir, 02Ody02.

Strangely, I had an 01 Ody, and the fill cap said 5W30. I sold it (I miss that van...it was solid) and bought a 2003 EX, and like my wife's 2002, the oil fill cap says 5W20.

This made me scratch my noggin. I went up, down and through the Helm manual. No change in major bearing clearances to tell me why Honda changed the oil weight spec to something thinner after 2001. cnn came up with the answer...U.S. Gov't CAFE regs. Personally, I cannot tell any sort of mileage difference between either viscosity, though the small gain by using the thinner oil measured over many, many thousands of vehicles sold does make a corporate reporting difference for Honda. Either way, either oil weight will let the engine last far, far longer than the tranny, whether or not it is dino or synthetic or semi-dino / semi-synthetic. In fact, I think the Odyssey, given a tranny that lasts that long, will eventually have the body shell crumble around its still-running V6.

Me-thinks one could use either 5W20 or 5W30, just buying whatever happens to be on sale when one walks into the auto parts store or WallyWorld. I know I do!

Knowing how amazingly hot it gets in Dallas (especially the last two years), I sure can understand using the 3,750-mile severe service interval.

OF

I too had read that regulations are what lead to the change. Some forum had heated discussions that the change in the name of regulatory compliance greatly reduces engine life, the mfrs know it and dupe the consumers...I think someone presented data on engine wear from somebody. It may have to do with emissions as well as certain components are no longer used in some oils for that reason. I may be confused as I forgot it quickly and paid it no mind because I believe as you do: the engine will outlast most everything else on the vehicle.

I've posted a reference to this before ... but what the heck, seems like lots of us like to chip in about motor oil. I think Motorcraft semi-syn is the ("stop the conveyor belt, change the bottles") same stuff as Honda's branded oil. Made by Conoco Phillips ... even the bottle design is the same with the 3 stripes on the upper left. Don't see how you can go wrong using Motorcraft and my experience has been that it is an exceptionally fine 5-20W for 2nd gens. And it is close in price to dino and available at just about any parts house or big box.

'02 EX

Honda synthetic was made by Mobil 1 I thought. The RDX came factory filled with it and for awhile M1 was the only oil suitable for use in it. Maybe they changed suppliers?
    2004 TL
    2000 Ody

Man, this is like a Sherlock Holmes case!

I will say that even if it is Motorcraft Synthetic Blend....well, that particular brand seems to be an uber favorite on the BITOG forums. If it's the Honda factory fill, then they've got a winner.

If M1 is the factory fill, well that's great stuff, too.

Either way, whichever of the two is filling the Honda bottles, either is much better than fine.

"Yes, Watson...two great possibilities, and either one would make the car owner happy."
    "Brilliant deduction, Holmes, brilliant!"

OF

M1 used to advertise on their site all the vehicles it supplied for factory filling and RDX was one of them.
    2004 TL
    2000 Ody

2004 TL
    2000 Ody

mjody, I think ackack is referring to the semi-syn oil only.

That said, that's an amazing bit of info on that link. A lot of pretty neat cars start life with M1 in the pan. Makes me wonder if M1 is in the replacement bottles from Acura.

OF

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements