Alternator removal
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alternator removal

Question Alternator removal

I was doing some pondering in the engine compartment the other night and was wondering how (when the time comes for service) one pulls the alternator out of a 2001 Odyssey? Has anyone done this yet? I would assume that you would have to jack up the right hand side of the motor after removing motor mount, to gain enough room to wiggle the alternator out. Please let me know. Cannot be as bad as a 97 Cadilac. Looks like you have to remove radiator and AC condensor. A buddy of mine ownes one (poor guy) and the alternator crapped out. It is tucked down low, above AC compressor and there is zero room.
    Makes Odyssey look really, really good.

Roy

2001 Odyssey EX 161,000 KM (100,000 miles).
    1990 Toyota 4Runner 206,000 KM (127,950 miles). Rust repair in the area of $2600.00 Canadian. Worth every penny. Great truck.
    1992 Giant mountain bike 16,000 KM (9938 miles) as of August 4, 2008.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I have a 2003 Oddy and I had the same concern. Unfortunately I've had to pull the alternator and it turned out to be very easy. I had to remove the power steering fluid reservior. This allowed me to move the alternator over and up.

I don't know about the 2001, but I suspect it's very similar.
    Keith

kgvickers "at" charter "dot" net

Originally posted by kgvickers
    I have a 2003 Oddy and I had the same concern. Unfortunately I've had to pull the alternator and it turned out to be very easy. I had to remove the power steering fluid reservior. This allowed me to move the alternator over and up.

I don't know about the 2001, but I suspect it's very similar.
    Cool! I will check that out next time that I am under the hood. What was wrong with your alternator...at such a young age? Hopefully it was nothing too serious.
    Roy

1990 Toyota 4Runner 206,000 KM (127,950 miles). Rust repair in the area of $2600.00 Canadian. Worth every penny. Great truck.

My Oddy is "salvaged", meaning that it is a repaired van that was originally totalled by an insurance company. An office buddy bought an '02 Oddy from this shop and had great luck, so I decided to try it. Since I do virtually all my repairs and maintenance myself I figured it would be low risk.

For the most part everything has been ok but I've had one annoying and persistent problem - it keeps breaking the 10 mm bolt that holds the alternator on, so I've gotten extremely proficient in doing this repair. My body shop actually gave me a warranty, however they are about 40 minutes away. Also, my experience has been that body shop guys are not mechanics so I decided to tackle this myself. Boy, was that a mistake.

Apparantly several parts were bent in the original wreck and I've been slowly replacing parts since the "broken bolt" issue won't go away. So far I've replaced the bolt several times, the "alternator stay" several times, the belt tensioner, and just last night, the pulley on the A/C compressor. I the A/C pulley was out of round and it may have been causing the belt tension to rapidly vary which in-turn could cause a resonance in the alternator assembly thereby placing additional shear forces on the bolt and the stay . . . that's my theory, anyway.

I measured the "wobble" on the new pulley and it is about 0.005" total. I did not have a gauge when I pulled the old pulley so I don't know how bad it was, but I could easily see the movement so I suspect it was 0.100" or so. I don't know if that consitutes a "smoking gun" but it's as close as I've come.

Anyway, I'm told by a local expert Honda repair shop here in Fort Worth that the Denso alternator is typically good for over 200K miles so I suspect you have nothing to worry about.

BTW, for anyone in Fort Worth, Texas, "Dealer Alternative" is a fantastic place to have Hondas repaired. I highly recommend them.
    Keith

Thanks for the reply Keith...excellent. Good luck with the solving of the broken bolt problem. Sounds like you have the problem well in hand. Good eye to find what was causing the problem (hopefully, for your sake). Yes, it is very important for those pulleys to run true. Tough on bearings, if not true. I have also had very good luck with Denso electronic equipment. They are made so well and very serviceable too. Many of the vehicles I have worked on are high mileage Japanese vehicles and it is very rare that an alternator or starter is a problem with them.

I hope you have many good years of service with your recycled Ody. Do you have any pics of before and after body work? I would be interested in seeing them.

Thanks
    Roy

Yes, I do have before pictures . . . I'll need to make some "after" pictures. I'll try to do that this weekend after it has been washed. I'll post the picture notice here.
    Keith

Looking forward to seeing them.
    Roy

Unhappy

Oops, sorry to report that in fact I *don't* have any before pictures. I looked over the van prior to committing to the purchase but I did not make pictures at that time.

There are of course defects that a picky person can find, but for the most part it now looks like every other silver Odyssey on the road.
    Keith

That's cool. Don't worry about it.
    Roy

11. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements