Engine ground Wire and alternator issues
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine ground Wire and alternator issues

Engine ground Wire and alternator issues

Hey all, well I think my alternator went south, so I'm starting to remove it and I notice that the ground wire from the engine block is disconnected, soooo

1) where does it connect to? It's still connected to the engine block but it was just hanging loose right under the alternator. Had an accident (passenger front) and was repaired about 8 months ago shop must have not tightened it all the way.

2)Could this cause the issue with the alternator? My battery light and the door ajar lights on the dash remain lit, there is a "groan" sound when the car is running, and the AC fan speed flucuates when driving

Thanks
    Nick F

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

will also cause starter problems and shifting problems

First, what year is your Odyssey? I don't have have the electrical manual, just the big Service manual for 1999-2004. However, we have a 2002 and 2003 we can look at for you.

It sounds like you have more than just one of the grounds disconnected. There are a number of them at different locations; just a couple major ones, and a healthy number of small wire gauge locations.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Thanks all for your responses, I think I corrected all the issues with my Ody (it's a 2004 by the way) I replace the alternator which in turn solve the groaning sound and the light on the dash are now out. The ground wire from the right side of the engine block is connected to the radiator support right in front of the alternator. Took a couple of hours searching in the net, but i eventually found a wiring diagram where it showed all the grounds and where they go.

Oh and by the way what a pain in the a$$ the alternator was, not difficult just a pain in the a$$, didn't want to come out very tight space and the belt tensioner was another pain in the a$$

Nick F
    Last edited by nick f; 09-02-2013 at 09:49 AM.

nick, make sure the alternator "pivot" bolt (the longest one) and the alternator bracket bolt (little one) are torqued exactly to spec. The guys who repaired our front end damaged 2002 EX did not apply sufficient torque, first causing the pivot bolt to back out, thus making the bracket shoulder the entire load of alternator mass and belt tension, which bent and cracked the bracket, and the belt shredded. I re-installed new bolts, and "guessed" on the pivot bolt torque because the torque wrench head would not fit in that tight space, and I got the same results. So, I borrowed a torqe adapter, did the math for the 2 inches of extension on my 3/8" torque wrench, and all has been well since then.

33 ft-lbs. for the pivot bolt
    16 ft-lbs. for the bracket-engine-bolt

OF
    Last edited by 0dyfamily; 09-02-2013 at 02:26 PM.

7. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements