2000 Honda Odyssey spins but won't start please help
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2000 Honda Odyssey spins but won't start please help

2000 Honda Odyssey spins but won't start please help

When I first start my van it starts just fine but if I drive it and turn it off it just spins and won't start. I wait a minute and try again it spins the finally starts. What could be wrong? It's my only means of transportation I need help please. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Two things to check next time it won't start:

1. Turn the key to the running position (not start) and listen for the fuel pump whirring in the rear. If not, could be a problem with the main fuel pump relay or the fuel pump itself.

2. Check if the green immobilizer key light goes out before you try to start the van. If not, could be a problem with the immobilizer system.
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Honda ATF cooler, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Amsoil ATF 6/2011, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)

KSS, my problem with my 1998 Accord was exactly as you described, and my solution was exactly as dave described. My darned key's built-in immobilizer chip went wonky. On a "good" start the green key lght would extinguish, and it would start normally. On a subsequent start after shutting down briefly at something like the corner mart, it would spin with nothing else happening...then I noticed that the green key light was remaining illuminated. I'd wait, try again, that light would extinguish....good start.

Fixed this by getting a new key at the Honda dealer and destroying the malfunctioning one. Worked like a champ afterwards.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Thank you both for the replies, I will check this out tomorrow morning I will keep you updated.
    Thanks again

6. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements