Need opinions on bad oil leak
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need opinions on bad oil leak

Need opinions on bad oil leak

I am leaking a decent amount of oil by where the oil filter is located. Since the oil filter is tight it has to be something else. Is there a known oil leak problem in that area or is something else there besides the oil filter which would explain why oil is leaking?
    Last edited by Motsyball; 01-07-2014 at 11:04 PM.
    "The longer I live the more I am convinced the Beatles had the greatest single impact on western culture since Jesus Christ." -me

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Just finished this fix. And then tracing another. Need to change the VTEC solenoid (complex shaped seal with screen) and o-ring (that looks like number 8). The filter housing is held by 3 bolts and its easy to get to.

oil leak from above filter with pics

was teh Vtech solenoid seal hard to fix?

The oil filter housing can leak and need to be revealed as well. I had both the housing leak and vtec solenoid leak. Both were resealed by my mechanic for maybe $275.

It is a Honda design issue - the o-rings will ultimately need to be replaced in the oil filter housing, the vtec solenoid valve, the power steering pump and the oil pump. Any others, anybody?
    2002 Ody
    136k miles, original transmission

It was pretty easy. Remove right front tire. The filter housing is held by 3 long 10mm bolts. If you disconnect the electricals, the whole thing comes off. Put in the new seal. The top valve on the housing is 2 10mm bolts to replace the o-ring. Thats it, about 30 min job (give it least 45 mins for us). Do dab some oil on the seal for easy fit. Connect the connectors when done and clean dirt around the housing. Check back for leaks.

Because I already had filter off and was doing the timing belt, I had easier access. It took me less than 20 mins total for both washers (seal + o-ring). Check out actual pics on the other thread.

7. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements