Front windshield washers not working
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Front windshield washers not working

Front windshield washers not working

Hi,

Our "new" 2001 EX will not spray any washer fluid on the front windshield. The resevoir is full and the rear window washer works fine. The nozzles look clean and the hoses look fine. Any suggestions as to what I could try?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Question Listen for motor

Turn the ignition to accessory, (car nor running).
    Have someone else try the front washers and then the rear while you listen near the washer fluid tank. Since there are seperate pumps for both front and rear the front pump may be bad. If you do hear a front pump motor try pulling the hoses off the washer jets to see if they may be clogged.

It might be the same issue as my new '04. The hose comes up the passenger side and connects to a tab that is SUPPOSED to keep it from getting crimped by the hood when it closes. Check to see if you hose is crimped (mine was flat as a pancake). Then you have to devise a way to fix it, which probably involves taking out some of the slack.

Dan
    2009 Civic LX-S 32K miles
    1995 Odyssey EX 217K miles
    2004 Odyssey LX - 135K miles RLI BioSyn 0w20
    no oil usage until about 6K miles
    RLI BioSyn ATF - stays very clean
    RLI BioSyn Injector Cleaner
    Motorad 180F thermostat
    Air Lift 1000
    avg 23MPG

Dan
    You are all right. My washers have been piddling since last winter. I took it to the dealer and they just cleaned the nozzles. Of course that didn't fix it. I just checked and right behind that tab it was flat. I pulled the hose through alittle more and now I can wash the windshields of the car behind me.
    Thanks Again

Chris

Thanks Dan,

A crimped hose was exactly the problem, in two spots in fact. Just raising the hood allowed the fluid to flow. I did need to take up some slack and carefully close the hood so the hose stayed free. Looks pretty easy to catch again if over-stretched when opening the hood.

Thanks for all replies.

Phil

My '03 Odyssey washer pumps both don't spray anything. It worked fine when I got the van a month ago, but they both stopped working. My wipers work fine, but both pumps are not pumping. I am going to check for hood crimping, but I don't think that's the problem. Could someone give me some advice, because I really doubt both pumps would go. Thanks alot!
    Jason

There is nothing common that would affect both other than the tank and fluid. Any fuses would also stop wiper motors. Listen for motors running. Check voltage at pump motor. Check for crud in tank. Check hoses for splits or crimps. Check motors for corrosion, etc.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

Originally posted by William Wiles
    There is nothing common that would affect both other than the tank and fluid. Any fuses would also stop wiper motors. Listen for motors running. Check voltage at pump motor. Check for crud in tank. Check hoses for splits or crimps. Check motors for corrosion, etc.
    Check for fluid in the tank too. I know this sounds stupid, but someone I know (not an Ody) thought they were having a similar problem, but it turns out the wiper fluid they had been using had left a blue tint on the fluid reservoir, so when she popped the hood and did a quick visual inspection, the tank looked like it had fluid, but it was empty.

Also, if it is cold out, possibly the line is frozen if you have used water or a diluted solution.
    2014 Civic Si - Crystal Black Pearl
    2012 Pilot EXL-RES - Polished Metal
    2009 Odyssey EXL-RES Bali Blue
    2011 Mazda3i Touring Crystal White Pearl
    Other Recent Rides:
    2005 Mazda RX8 GT Velocity Red
    2008 Pilot EXL-RES Formal Black
    2003 Odyssey EXL-RES Redrock Pearl
    2004 Mazda 6S Lapis Blue
    2002 Accord EXL Black

Originally posted by denyed
    My '03 Odyssey washer pumps both don't spray anything. It worked fine when I got the van a month ago, but they both stopped working. My wipers work fine, but both pumps are not pumping. I am going to check for hood crimping, but I don't think that's the problem. Could someone give me some advice, because I really doubt both pumps would go. Thanks alot!
    Jason
    Remove all three hoses from the nozzles and see whether fluid runs when activating the washer controls. One of my front nozzles was partially clogged and applying suction cleared it up fully. Removing the rear hose exposed a clot of crud. Cleaning it, did still not solve the problem. I played around with the spring loaded "valve" in front of the nozzle and eventually flow through the rear nozzle was restored.

My front pump does not work, it may be the stalk mounted switch, or the pump itself. How is the pump on the resevoir accessed? Do i need to access from above or below. Is there any scans of the manual available for this area?

Blog Entries
    It is a given in my van..when it gets cold, the squirters don't work, the doors don't open and the windows don't roll down.............It's a wonderful thing this Honda experience of 30,000 dollars
    King of Custom Pedals
    04 Odyssey (9.67mpg mix) 27mpg Highway- Go figure GONE
    12 Quest SL
    12 Altima 3.5 SR
    91 MR2

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements