Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Noise when the AC compressor is OFF?

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  OdyinNH 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 Odyssey (162k, 4th transmission) and we just recently started hearing a noise (squeal) from the engine compartment near the serpentine belt. The noise goes away when I turn on the AC. It returns immediately when I turn off the AC. I can toggle the sound on/off by pressing the dash AC button. Is this a bearing of some kind on the AC compressor? Why would it make a noise when the compressor is OFF?

Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
Another forum member recently had a case where the AC compressor clutch was not releasing. The solution was to flush it out with WD40 IIRC. After that it worked normally.

Check that your compressor is fully disengaging when you turn the AC off.

Dave

#5 ·
A/C bearing going bad or clutch is rubbing. Pull the belt and spin the A/C pulley to see how it feels. The bearings on these are always spinning unless the compressor is on. I changed the one on my truck twice, it can be done without removing the compressor hoses depending on the vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.