Honda Odyssey Forum banner

HVAC Fan Howling on Full Speed Setting

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  audi_nicoya209 
#1 ·
Hey so I have a question. I have noticed lately that while driving my mom's 2003 Odyssey EX-L with the A/C on and fan on full blast that the fan kinda "howls" a bit as I accelerate from a dead stop. My mom came to me a few days ago and said that she has noticed it doing it with her also. What's going on? Am I facing a new fan or simply a fan lube job? for either job is it difficult to access the fan? anyway I slice the cake i'm kinda at a loss here... Thanks in advance 2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L 136,457 miles...

#4 ·
Try it on a lower fan speed to see if the howl continues when accelerating. If it does, then perhaps it is not the fan at all but something else such as the ac compressor or alternator or ?
There are how-to's in changing the cabin air filter in these forums. Somewhat of pain to do on the 2003, but not too bad.
Buffalo4

#5 ·
hmmm interesting you guys mention the low speed setting. for the most part we always keep it at full auto between 65-70 degrees. i have not noticed any howling at night when the system puts the fan at a low speed. my understanding is that the filter is behind the glove box so that needs to be dropped for access (really who puts a filter there? :rollingeyes:) but if i have to pull the blower itself is that difficult to get to? im sure that there has to be some debris because we live out in the country and it gets really dusty this time of year (walnut and almond harvest)

o and buffalo4 the howl seems to come from inside the van around the passenger side dashboard...

#6 ·
http://users.accesscomm.ca/jigsaw/filter.pdf
A decent write up on how to change or access the cabin air filter.
I would start by doing that. It does sound like the fan or debris in the filter area. Have a look. Might as well buy a new cabin filter at WalMart or other places to put in while you are taking it apart.
I don't know how difficult it is to get to the fan blower itself, but I am sure you can Google it.
Buffalo4

#7 ·
65-70 seems a bit low. I keep mine at 73-76 in the summer because I'm dressed for 85 degree weather and 65 feels like an icebox. Actually, when it's super dry out and 85 degrees outside, I'm very content. It's the humidity I don't like. Got me thinking that I should get a 12V dehumidifier or even try out that Eva-Dry 500 wireless dehumidifier.

#8 ·
i know lol its low but here in Stockton with the temperature hovering between 95-100 during the summer it feels great but as the outside temps drop as the season progresses the temp on the climate control goes up. we been running it between 70-72 in the past week...

#11 ·
#12 ·
hmm I read through the link you posted. I do get that gurgling sound behind the dash that's described in the thread but ONLY when its cool outside and it has the sound both with the climate control on or off. I just cant seem to pinpoint that bubbling sound. with warm or hot outside temps I don't have that bubbling sound....im pretty lost here with that. coolant issue maybe?

#14 ·
That bubbling noise you hear with or without the climate control on probably comes from the air mixture control unit. There are several posts on that. Mine makes a funny buzzing/creaking/ etc type sound. It is located on the driver's side of the center console.
Ever get your howling figured out? Change your cabin air filter yet?
Buffalo4

#15 ·
That bubbling noise you hear with or without the climate control on probably comes from the air mixture control unit. There are several posts on that. Mine makes a funny buzzing/creaking/ etc type sound. It is located on the driver's side of the center console.
Ever get your howling figured out? Change your cabin air filter yet?
Buffalo4
hey no not yet I kinda had to put this on the back burner for now cuz some other things came up. the Ody needed new brakes and rotors in the back and my Audi needed a new cooling fan clutch and coolant expansion tank. all on top of catching a cold and still dealing with my dad's sudden passing two months ago yeah its been a bit crazy...:frown:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.