Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Pain in the butt serpentine belt replacement

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  rwillfrd 
#1 ·
I'm trying to replace the serpentine belt on my 04 Ody. Looking at the belt tensioner and unlike most tensioners, this one does not have a bolt head protruding from it so you can release it using a wrench or socket. It appears as if it might be a star drive or an allen wrench drive flush in the center of it. (its soooo tight in there I can't see it well enough to determine) anyway, Does anybody know what it is? and what tool did you use to release the tensioner in that very confined space? Simple job made a pain in the rear end by cramped space. Any help appreciated! I tried to get an allen wrench on it, but it's a little tight and won't turn enough to fit.

#2 ·
Looked at past entries in the forums and people said they bought a serpentine belt removal tool to get it off. Never in all the belts I've changed on my other rides have I had to do that. A wrench or a socket with a breaer bar always worked. Guess I'll get one in the morning.

#6 ·
the tension-er for the belt can be accessed from the wheel well. remove tire and splash guard,, i used two wenches together or one long wrench to get enough torque on it to slack it up,, belt on,,release tension,,

#7 ·
Actually folks, on the 2nd gen Odys, there are 3 ways to loosen the belt tensioner:
1) the 19mm hex bolt on the tensioner arm you see from the bottom (the one towards the front is the one you use to release tension, it is welded to the arm). Best to remove splash shield first.
2) The Torx female socket on the side of the pulley (if you can squeeze a male T50 torx in there, its about 1" of space). You can do this from the top.
3) Get a long bar and slowly pry on the inside of the tensioner arm, bearing against the alternator housing, towards the rear of the engine. Obviously, this is from the top too. I did this successfully using a tire iron since it has a flat blade on one end and is long enough to get the torque you need. This was before I found the proper way using (1) above. You have to be careful that it doesn't slip off.

Remember in all cases, trying to pry quickly increases the resistance in the tensioner, pry very slowly.

#9 ·
I just did this, messed around with the 19mm on the tensioner itself but didn't have a long enough tool. Not expecting much, I jammed the handle end of a barker bar in the wheel well somewhere near the joint at the top of the hydraulic tensioner. It works like a charm.

#10 ·
Follow up after job

Here is how I put the belt back on guys:

Made an improvised tool out of old cheap adjustable wrench. It is small enough to fit the cramped space (you have to remove the splash shield and go at it from the bottom):

Adjustable spanner Wrench Tool Metalworking hand tool Pipe wrench

You basically need to grind one side of the head to fit the small space and not gouge the A/C pulley when you rotate the tensioner and add an extension so you get the leverage you need. Do NOT try to turn the rear 19mm nut - that holds the tensioner on, use the front nut that is simply welded to the bracket. This works guys, it doesn't damage any parts, it doesn't cost a penny, and you don't bang your knuckles or feel like cursing Honda engineers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.