Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Engine noise during start/acceleration

11K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  New Dad New Van 
#1 ·
Okay, so you know what a 1985 F-250 diesel sounds like? Well that is the charming sound my 04 ody makes when I start it. It is more pronounced when I start it first time each day, especially if it's cold outside. The noise only lasts about a second or two, and quickly silences at idle. I can replicate the sound during moderate acceleration, but again only briefly. Then either the sound goes away or I lift the pedal a bit as I am reaching my desired speed. It doesn't matter if it's in gear or not. It makes the noise in park/neutral when started, and can be replicated by lightly revving the engine.

I don't suspect anything in the transmission. If it were more consistent, I'd look for some loose shroud of some sort slapping the fan or something.

Any thoughts on where to start?

#3 ·
Valve tapping? Timing chain? VVTi noise? Screech? Is it 1-3 secs, continuous? My cousins Infiniti does that also. There are some variations to this noise.

Before
After fix

From your description sounds more like this one:

#5 ·
Surgeon....

It sounds a lot like the Toyota (third YouTube). It also ceases just as quickly. It does it every time it is started. It does it occasionally while driving, but only when accelerating from a stop.

Poked around the exhaust, no luck.

#9 ·
The timing belt tensioner can collapse and it'll rattle like that for a few seconds till it pumps up again. Set to TDC and pull the back timing belt cover. If the crank and front cam are timed but the rear is out a tooth that's teh problem.

#12 ·
May as well do the whole timing belt service while in there - if this is the issue.

#13 ·
Here's the update.....
I took the ody to a reputable repair shop to have a look see. They were very nice and said the engine and pulleys looked fine. They raised the car on a lift and brought me out to the garage. The mechanic grabbed the exhaust pipe around mid-car and gave it a little shake. The rattling sound that it made could very well be the one I have been searching for. So now what? He says everything looks pretty good, but time for a new catalytic converter. (otto888man pretty much nailed it��)

Haven't fixed it yet, there is much more to the story. Go to the thread "Transmission or Cat?" For the rest of the story.

Mystery solved, I think, sorta....

#14 ·
Thanks for the update. Most likely its one of the heat shield that is making the noise. I would suggest to inspect it carefully by moving the heat shield with your hand , do this when the engine is cold. If you suspect that heat shield buy a big stainless steel clamp from any hardware store. Be sure its stainless steel. Clamp it around the suspected heat shield. That should solve your problem. Or another way is to bend it in the way that if it vibrates, it will not make noise. Let us know.

#19 ·
CEL = Check Engine Light

I just assumed a bad cat as bad as yours was sounding would trigger a CEL P0420.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.