power stearing belt replacement
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: power stearing belt replacement

power steering belt replacement

I think I know the answer to this myself but how does one change the power stearing belt? My helms manual says nothing. My haynes manual just says to remove it. When I physically look at the belt I see no way of removing it without loosening the engine mount. Is this what has to be done? Do I have to put a jack under the engine, loosen the engine mount and then feed the belt through whatever gap I can get? If anyone has done this procedure please fill me in on what and how you did it. I searched this forum and was surprised to not see any information on this topic. Some help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2000 EX 70000
    Last edited by napalm747; 04-17-2005 at 12:23 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Yes, you do have to disassemble the engine mount, in order to get the belt out. You have to support the engine during the operation and I believe the best way to do that is to use a large piece of wood, probably thick plywood, which will distribute the weight of the engine over a wide area of the oil pan when you jack against it. If there is a better way to support the engine, someone will surely say so.

Jerry O.
    UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!
    (The labor movement, the folks who brought you the weekend)

2014 Celestial Blue EX-L + 19" Advanti B1 wheels w/ 245/50-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, a WeatherTech cargo mat w/ added "bumper bib", a ScanGauge II and a nice large basket in place of the difficult to use front console. AirLift kit #60815 and DashMat dash cover (black to beat windshield reflection) added.

2006 Ocean Mist Metallic EX gone to live with daughter and family in Illinois

Re: power steering belt replacement

Originally posted by napalm747
    My haynes manual just says to remove it.
    2000 EX 70000

procedure to remove ps belt, acording to Haynes:

"remove the ps belt"

How useless!

I want an instruction manual that describes how to do things, not just what to do!

I prefer a block of wood to distribute the load under the oil pan. Plywood flexes more than a section of 2x4 or 2x6, therefore it will distribute the load less evenly. My .02.
    2002 Ody LX (Mom's)
    2003 Maxima (Dad's)
    2002 Supercharged Miata ( Dad's toy)
    1998 Civic: son's
    2004 Mazda3: daughter's
    2005 Mazda3: other daughter's

If you are replacing the belt, removal is easy.

Cut it.

Its the whole get the engine mount off and all that that is hard.
    MikeH
    2003 OdyEX
    "You're never too old to be immature"

Thanks for the information folks. I did find another thread on this subject with a lot of good information as well as your input. The Honda dealers service manual which has soooooooooo much good information is also totally silent on this subject. All they tell you how to do is adjust the belt. Nothing about removal and replacement. Seems rather stupid to me.

2000 EX 70000

I think it's supposed to last as long as the timing belt. So you need to remove that engine mount when replacing that belt anyway.

Talking

Easiest way to get the belt off is to cut it. To get the new belt on loosen and remove the bolts connecting the motor mount to the frame so you get a bit of clearance to sneak the belt under and in to where it belongs. If you do the plywood on the pan way you can mess up the pan and worse.
    My Van is an Autobot!

I was always wondering about that as mine is squeaking and I should probably replace it.

Re: power steering belt replacement

Originally posted by napalm747
    I think I know the answer to this myself but how does one change the power steering belt? My helms manual says nothing. My Haynes manual just says to remove it.
    2000 EX 70000
    Helm has a section on adjustment. See also section on engine removal and timing belt replacement.

It is all there,in Helm, you just have to hunt around in different sections.
    2002 EX-TW ; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames, K&N Air Filter; FilterMag magnetic oil filter; Galaxy DX-959 mobile CB w/ Wilson 1,000 mag mount antenna;Valentine One; Schrader Nickle Plated Brass Valve Stem Caps; Odyssey 1200MJT mil-spec battery.

which motor mount bolts?

I just finished replacing my power steering and serpentine belt on my 2001. The 2 things that weren't clear from my searches where 1) what bolts to remove for the motor mount and 2) how to relieve tension on the power steering pump.
    1) Don't remove the three bolts that hold the motor mount to the frame. Too much work. Support the engine as stated earlier w/ a jack and a piece of wood putting just enough pressure on the engine to start moving it(the whole vehicle will lift because of the shocks). Remove the 2 bolts connecting the motor mount to the engine. Once those are off that piece lifts up easily to allow clearance to take out and put in the power steering belt.
    2) The long bolt that should be obvious as an adjustment screw in front of the power steering pump is just that. But you must loosen the other two nuts/bolts securing the pump to relieve the tension.
    2000 Honda Odyssey EX

My PS belt lasted until 105k miles, when i did all the belts at once. Unless its damaged, i'd leave it until the major service. Even at 105k, it looked good.

Re: Re: power steering belt replacement

Originally posted by sinbad
    Helm has a section on adjustment. See also section on engine removal and timing belt replacement.

It is all there,in Helm, you just have to hunt around in different sections.
    If the power steering belt had a slice in it would this cause the motor to make a ticking sound?

Also, which belt is the power steering belt?

That is the way to go cut it off and put the motor mount back on and you driving down the road. Thanks for that advice momsride.

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements