blinking "D4" light
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blinking "D4" light

Unhappy blinking "D4" light

I thought I'd share this in case someone else encounters the same problem. I have a 2002 Odyssey EX-L RES with 64,000 miles. The D4 light began blinking while driving normally. No abnormal noises or driving problems. No other lights came on (CEL). The owners manual says blinking D4 could indicate transmission problem. I drove the few remaining miles home and called the dealer. The service rep said I could continue driving it but should bring it in within a week to have them look at it. I took it in the next day, the light did not blink and everything seemed ok. Dealer technician diagnosed a fault code of P1740 and called it a "4th pressure switch fault". They replaced the switch, test drove it and found no other faults. I hope this isn't a precursor to transmission issues like others that I've read about in this forum ....

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Check with the dealer.......
    Roy

2001 Odyssey EX 161,000 KM (100,000 miles).
    1990 Toyota 4Runner 206,000 KM (127,950 miles). Rust repair in the area of $2600.00 Canadian. Worth every penny. Great truck.
    1992 Giant mountain bike 16,000 KM (9938 miles) as of August 4, 2008.

What did they charge you, if anything, for this 4th pressure switch? If the trans goes, I'd expect a replacement free of charge. If it comes to that and the dealer wants to charge you, call Honda Corp. The dealer will magically change their tune.

Thanks for the replies. I was charged $215 to replace the 'pressure switch'. He told me the purpose of the 'pressure switch' is to monitor pressure inside the transmission. I inquired about an extended transmission warranty and whether this repair would be included. The dealer service rep told me that the extended warranty only applies to a couple of vehicles and doesn't apply to our '02 Ody. He said that this type of work wouldn't fall under it anyway. He said that the extended warranty only covers replacement of the transmission.

I bought the Odyssey due to Honda's reputation for reliability. (I owned a Windstar previously) Hopefully, this is just a switch gone bad and not a sign of impending transmission trouble.

02 and newer Odys with five speed transmissions are not part of the unconditional warranty extention. That said, The few (well a lot fewer than the 4 spds) 02,03,04 transmissions that have gone have been covered by Honda. At least those reported on this forum.
    By the way, at what mileage did you have the oil jet recall performed?

The transmission inspection safety recall was done at about 47,000 miles. I was told that the photo showed no damage and they installed the oil jet kit.

Hmm, IIRC an 02 Ody DOESN'T HAVE A D4 LIGHT!

This has always been an irritation to me. The 5 speed allows you to select D (which is actually D5) D3, D2, D1. No D4. What gives?
    2012 EX (hers) 03 LX (reserve force)
    2013 Chevy Cruze Eco (stick!) commuting average 40mpg

Gone:Caddy CTS (neutered, aka auto trans), Jetta 1.8T (stick!),95 & 02 Saturn SL (stick!)

I have an 2002 LX Odyssey which experienced the flashing D problem on the highway during a vacation in April. I didn't notice any problem with the transmission at that time. After we stopped at a rest area and started up again, the flashing D light didn't come on again and never blinked for the remainder of the trip.

I took the van to Autozone to see if any codes were logged. The P1740 code was logged. We took a look at the freeze data (data saved when the code was logged) and nothing appeared to out of the ordinary (driving at highway speeds).

The Autozone person looked up the code in their computer system which listed the error as "Torque Converter Clutch Inductive Signature malfunction".

I looked in Helms manual and the P1740 code points to problems with the 4th pressure switch. Under the diagnosis section, it said to reset the code and see if it appears again.

I had the code reset and haven't seen the flashing D light appear until this past weekend. Once again I noticed it while driving on the freeway (though it may have occurred earlier).

I had the codes checked again and it indicated the P1740 trouble code along with freeze data of 68 mph and 1931 RPM (confirming that it was first logged at highway speeds).

My van has about 76,000 miles and the oil jet recall was performed last year.

How prevalent is this problem? Anyone else encountered it other than silverfox? It sounds like fixing it (by replacing the 4th pressure switch) is not covered under any extended transmission warranty.
    Last edited by eaglemtn; 06-13-2005 at 02:51 PM.

This has always been an irritation to me. The 5 speed allows you to select D (which is actually D5) D3, D2, D1. No D4. What gives?
    This has bugged me too. There is no way to select 4th. Honda did good by upgrading the transmission from 4 speeds to 5 (in 2002 I think), but didn't upgrade the shift mechanism to match.

BTW, what does IIRC mean? I'm a little behind in my text messaging abbreviations...
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

Blinking D4 light too

I have an 02 EX and I've been having intermittent transmission problems and sometimes a flashing "D4" for about 10 months now. From time to time the transmission shifts so rough it will shake toys right out of my kids hands. They only codes they've found are for the transmission temperature control sensor a few times, a wheel speed sensor and a torque converter code once. The van has shifted like this at a variety of temperatures so I fail to see why it will shift so rough just because the computer can't sense the temperature of the transmission fluid. The torque converter code only came up once the first time it happened. Ottawa Honda is killing me with $80 diagnostic fees each visit and today was the fifth (!) but they still won't do anything. They've never been able to replicate the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!
    2002 EX

Have you tried calling the number for Honda Corp. in your owner's manual? This has worked magic down here. Just tell them your story. They may even suggest a different dealer. Honda doesn't like to replace transmissions that aren't broken yet. Maybe you could break it? Just kidding.

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Contacting Honda Canada is a good idea at this point if you are unsatisfied with the dealer. You have a history with the 5 visits and a flashing D light. Shaking toys out of your childrens hands while shifting would be unacceptable IMO. It would seem to only get worse and best get the repair at your convenience rather than your inconvenience.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

I don't know if Honda's transmissions are similar to GM's. But I had a transmission fail in my full size Caprice. At some point the check engine light came on and the symptom was extremely hard shifts. Which would go away if I shut the car off, until the next time the check engine light came on. I was told by my tranny guy, that when the transmission senses certain failures it goes into a limp mode. Which boosts the internal line pressure very high. The high line pressure makes for bone jarring shifts.

-Stew

We just experienced the "Flashing D" today while driving cross country (back from vacation to our home). I noticed the light flashing about 2 hours away from home. We were hoping nothing happened during our last 2 hours of the drive and we were ok. After looking in the manual, it states transmission issue, so I called my service advisor (got him on speed dial) and he said to bring it in.

I will be taking this to the dealership tomorrow to see what the issue is...
    2007 Slate Green Metallic Odyssey Touring R&N
    2010 Slate Metallic Tundra CrewMax

Originally posted by New Dad New Van
    Contacting Honda Canada is a good idea at this point if you are unsatisfied with the dealer. You have a history with the 5 visits and a flashing D light. Shaking toys out of your childrens hands while shifting would be unacceptable IMO. It would seem to only get worse and best get the repair at your convenience rather than your inconvenience.
    I agree on all counts. I called Honda Canada and they just gave me the service manager's name at Ottawa Honda, whom I've already spoken to repeatedly. They were pretty useless.

The good news (sort of) is that I'm currently vacationing in Toronto and the transmission had a major meltdown. Slipping between 40-60km/h, rough shifts, flashing D, the whole 9 yards. I took it to a Toronto dealer with my 5 previous tranny related bills and they decided to warranty it within minutes. I've been stranded in Toronto since Wednesday and will be until next Tuesday when they can finally get me a tranny, but at least I'll finally have my tranny problem solved!!
    2002 EX

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements