Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2004 Brake Upgrade

4K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Tuned350 
#1 ·
#2 ·
So I decided to go ahead and order the parts. Went with semi-loaded centric calipers from rock auto and some powerstop pads. I should get around to disassembling everything and test fitting parts this coming weekend.

From my research the swap should result in an increase in pedal feel as well as a 25mm increase in piston bore size. Overall brake pad size should be bigger, though I'm not sure by how much, and pad life should be better due to increased size and more even pressure.

#4 · (Edited)
If I'm not mistaken aren't the pilot brakes essentially the same as ours? At least the ones that will bolt on? The MDX calipers are a dual piston design while the Pilot/Ody are single.

And I saw that kit too. I'm sure its VERY nice but $1300 is almost half of what I paid for the van! I only paid $270 for both front calipers as well as a set of pads and new brake lines. I think even if all I get is better pedal feel I'll be happy.

Edit: found the thread where they talk about third gen odysseys being compatible with 07+ MDX and 09+ Pilot. It would be nice to run the larger rotors (334mm vs our 300mm) but I don't think it will work.

#5 ·
Tuned350 please keep us updated on this. I am interested as I am due for front brakes and notice that Hawk has pads for the 2003 - 06 MDX. I have used Hawk pads on other rides and while they may not be the quietest or dust free, they have always stopped very well. I currently have Wagner Thermoquiet pads and while they stop better than the OE pads with low to no dust, they are anything but quiet when cold and backing up. It appears that the rubber brake lines are different between the ODY and the MDX along with the master cylinder.

#6 ·
Hi m3mike,

For sure I will. I plan on trying the swap this weekend as long as UPS delivers the pads I ordered on friday. And as to the brake lines they look SIMILAR. But I guess I'll find out once I have everything apart! The ones I ordered are just Odyssey replacements since mine are looking pretty beat.

#8 · (Edited)
Hey mike,

So I actually tried it out. Mounting holes all line up and the brake line LOOKS like it should fit. The threads for the fitting are the same and the angle at which it attaches is the same. The problem was that the caliper mounting bolts from the odyssey were too small and the new calipers didn't come with any. I ordered a set which should hopefully be here by the weekend and I will be trying again.

So, I will keep you guys updated.

edit: just double checked and the threads on the brake lines for both the MDX and odyssey are M10x1.0 and the odyssey brake line is .41" longer. This should work once I get those bolts, I'm freaking excited. Always love doing these funky franken build things.

#10 ·
Alright so I came close but this doesn't work. The calipers can fit and I came close with rotor fitment using 2007 350z brembo rotors but they are slightly too thick. If you could find a rotor with the same specs but 2mm thinner it would work. As it is its too much work for me for an unknown amount of benefit so this project is getting shelved.

#12 ·
The OE caliper was too small, I had some pad hanging off the end. I think the mounting points for the caliper on the MDX must be closer to the hub since both our car and that year MDX use 300mm rotors but on the Odyssey the pads don't quite fit all the way on the rotor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.