Honda Odyssey Forum banner

maintenance required light - wwyd?

24K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  raven69david 
#1 ·
We recently bought a Honda certified '03 Ody EX with 20,000 miles on it. Now we are at 21,000 miles and the maintance required light is blinking when I crank up (for a couple of seconds).

Does this mean I really need maintenance, or is this just the reminder for a regularly scheduled check-up? I am thinking that the van just had a 150 pt. inspection to be certified, so it shouldn't be time for something else yet....am I correct or do I need to take it in to the dealer???

Thanks to all of you for all of the advice I have received from this board!

#2 ·
This is the fancy version of the maintenance reminder, it just keeps track of how many miles since the last reset to tell you to change the oil. The reset procedure is in the user manual, involves turning the key to a certain position (but not starting) and press the button for an amount of time.

This has been discussed many time, you can use the search function for "maintenance light"

#3 ·
Okay, but shouldn't it have been reset when they did the 150 pt inspection? I guess I am missing something because I did not think it would be time for maintenance so soon...

Do I reset and ignore, or go in for maintenance?

#4 ·
Check your owner's manual, I beleive the maintenance reminder goes off every 7500 miles or so give or take. It is a minor maintencae, I belevie it is just change the oil, and rotate tires.

They probably did not think about resetting it since it is just a maintenance reminder.

Please read your owner's manual, has alot of useful information like maintenance schedules and what each light means.

Please read it!!! Very helpful info.

#6 ·
bamagirl said:
Okay, but shouldn't it have been reset when they did the 150 pt inspection? I guess I am missing something because I did not think it would be time for maintenance so soon...

You should be asking those questions of the dealer you bought it from and request a list of the 150 items they checked. Chances are it was passed thru their car wash and sold. The 150 points get checked as you bring it back and complain. Is the oil clean or black, same for transmission,brake, and power steering fluid. From what I have seen about dealer certified over the years it just entails a premium on the selling price.

#7 ·
bamagirl said:

My dealer usually fogets to reset the reminder, too.

If they did really do an oil change as part of the used car certification process, then I would just reset it and forget it. I think the maintence interval is 7,500. IIRC, the light will start to blink if it has been 7,000 miles since the last reset, and after 7,500 it stays on solid. If you are like many of us here and get your oil changed more often than recommended, you will not want to follow the maintence reminder anyway.

Enjoy your new van and welcome to the club. :)

#8 ·
the light will start to blink if it has been 7,000 miles since the last reset, and after 7,500 it stays on solid.
I thought this was pretty neat in 2002. But it's quite basic compared to the smarts builtin into the 2005 maintenance reminder system. :(

#9 ·
My '99 Accord & '99 Odyssey both blink at 7k and burn solid at 7.5k.

Just reset the light: with the key in the ignition hold the reset button down, turn they key to 'on', wait for the light to go out, release the reset button and voila!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.