Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Automatic Transmission

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Arcteryx 
#1 ·
My 2002 Honda Odessy's Automatic ransmission is shifting gears improperly. I feel it when driving in the car. It happens after I stop and start again. What is going on? Can anyone help me before I go crazy and/or get ripped off by a car dealer?

#2 ·
mikeradov said:
My 2002 Honda Odessy's Automatic ransmission is shifting gears improperly. I feel it when driving in the car. It happens after I stop and start again. What is going on? Can anyone help me before I go crazy and/or get ripped off by a car dealer?
I don't think it's fair at all to just assume that a dealer is going to rip you off.
Honda has been having transmission problems and most likely will help you out with it.
You should take it to your dealer.
From the sounds of it your Ody is having problems with 1st and/or 2nd gear.
There is a recall on the 2nd gear.
Take it in, I'm sure you will be happy with your dealings with the dealer.

#3 ·
Have the dealer look at it before it gets any worse. You will feel better just knowing what needs to be fixed. BTW, has the oil jet kit been installed?

- Dave

#4 ·
I would get it in right away. W were having trouble with our 2002 Odyssey transmission also. We just brought it to the dealer on Tuesday and they found metal in the transmission and said the van is unsafe to drive and the transmission has to be replaced. I thank God we weren't on the highway and it locked up on us. Our van has 51,000 and we are waiting to hear whether or not they will cover expenses. We do not have an extended warranty. Anyone have any input on that? Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
Ody4us said:
I would get it in right away. W were having trouble with our 2002 Odyssey transmission also. We just brought it to the dealer on Tuesday and they found metal in the transmission and said the van is unsafe to drive and the transmission has to be replaced. I thank God we weren't on the highway and it locked up on us. Our van has 51,000 and we are waiting to hear whether or not they will cover expenses. We do not have an extended warranty. Anyone have any input on that? Thanks in advance.
I've never seen any of these transmissions lock up. I've seen them to were they won't go any more but never locked up.
If the problem is with the 2nd gear then most likely Honda will cover it 100%. If it's not the 2nd gear then there is still a good change that Honda will help you out.

#6 ·
Honda's recall information concerning the 2nd gear problem states that one failure mode is total and complete lockup of the transmission, causing an unexpected and very sudden complete stop.

I have read that there have been several documented cases of this actually happening. Not many considering how many Ody's are rolling around out there, but it HAS happened.

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.