Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2003 Odyssey window regular

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  nitely2 
#1 ·
Hi oddy friends, My 2003 Oddy serves me well, nowadays is giving me issues but I have no serious complaints - what you expect after 13 years. Last week, my wife was driving and all of sudden passenger window went inside with big thud and other sounds. I searched here and am surprised that it is one of the common occurrences and I am so glad it did not happen to me.

I got ton of the material in the forums here and youtube how to replace regulator. the motor is working. when I pressed power switch, it is spinning however, widow is not rolling up. I have not opened the panel yet. Question is, is it generally the problem regulator - advised to replace regulator(72210-S0X-A04) or any runner or harness? I have not ordered the regular part yet and hence the question. Secondly, the part is around $90-95 in online stores bernardi or amazon for genuine honda oem part vs $140 at dealer. But at 1Aauto, it is $70. Unbelievable but am I looking at genuine part? Link 2003 Honda Odyssey Power Window Regulator with Motor Front Passenger Side at 1A Auto.com

Thanks for your advice. I am not much handy but the video does not appear to be daunting.
Regards
RK

#2 ·
Usually with regulators it's the plastic clips that hold the cable that break. If the window fell into the door then the regulator is probably toast. I know with GM's you could repair and beef up the offending area but haven't seen regulators break much on odys.
I would go oem if possible, most aftermarket regulators come with suspect motors.

#4 ·
I would go with OEM but if you don't go with OEM buy one locally with a lifetime warranty so when it fails you can take it in to get a replacement.

I have replaced both front and passenger regulators - within a month or so of each other, with Dorman regulators. One did not last a year.

On another car, my first regulator replacement was a Dorman online. Maybe $20 cheaper than buying it locally. The OEM last 12 years, the Dorman 5. I couldn't really take it out and mail it and wait for a replacement so I ended up buying one locally. The $20 savings really wasn't.

#5 ·
Thanks for the tip. Getting OEM may take a week or so ($98). I may choose Dorman locally as you said. The cost differential is very low. Advanced auto here with 30% online is almost same as Amazon around $50. It seems ok quality but not great. Lot of hit or miss.

#6 ·
I purchased my regulators from am-autoparts for my Camry; they are the same guys as 1A Auto; I have no complains about their quality. I would not hesitate to purchase again from them. As a matter of fact, I did purchase lower control arms for Odyssey from them later.

#9 ·
About a year; I purchased two regulators for the Camry; I did opt for the more expensive ones; they had two types of qualities.

By the way, once you have done one window regulator, next one would take less than half the time to replace. "AM" is giving 10 year warranty, so I think the quality would be adequate.

#10 ·
To repeat, I have replaced five window regulators on three windows. All had lifetime warranties, yet two failed - one at 1 year and one at 5 years. The regulators in the three windows have only been in for 2-3 years at this point. How long will they last?

#12 ·
This thread has my tips in it: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-19...ent-question-2002-ody-disconnect-battery.html

If I did not mention it in the thread, if the window will not come up, cut the metal wire. Also, pay attention and make sure you don't clip the electrical connections back together wrong or you will have new, unresolvable problems with the windows. I thought the connections were obvious, maybe even color coded, but others have plugged the wrong ones together.

I will add that I had never done anything like removing door panels. Doing this gave me confidence in attacking other jobs, such as replacing the odometer light. And, my mechanic wanted over $500 to do this on the other brand car (though the part was much pricier than Honda regulators. So pricey I assumed the same for Honda and did not even look when they failed. My bad.)

#13 ·
Same issue with my 2003! I purchase regulator/motor unit off eBay for around 50-60 dollars with free shipping. Not having ever tackled this type of project I took the van to my local mechanic for him to install the unit. Did a great job. Total cost for the total repair of my fallen window; $100.00. I figure that's not to bad. Good luck with your issue!

#14 ·
One year Bump...
The passenger window regulator broke and the window would not go up.* Bought a Carquest Power Window Regulator Motor Assembly from Advance Auto Parts for $43.39+tax after using 30% off online coupon code and $5 off Speedperks.* YouTube repair video by 1A Auto was the perfect guide.* Very easy job and took less than 30 minutes.

#15 · (Edited)
My '99 passenger side window just dropped to the bottom last weekend. Having opened the door panel so many times when I fixed all the door lock actuator before, I feel I am a pro at this. I went and inspected the problem. Pulled out the window regulator motor assembly and the cable connecting the glass carrier came off its hook. Plastic part that sorta broken and not securing the cable well anymore. Anyways, I tried to put the cable back and reinstalled the assembly. Tested it and now it only goes down half way but goes up full shut. So I tested it some more going up and down and then it fell again. Cable coming off the hook again. So I took it all out again and looked at the winder part this time. Open up the metal backing plate and saw the problem. Tangled frayed cable. That is why its shorter now and not releasing to full length-not going down all the way. I tried to untangle the cable but the fraying is pretty bad. Last attempt in repairing failed. The plastic guides broke and the cable just wont wind right. The motor on the other hand is nice and strong. Sucks, I wish the winder is repairable but its all plastic. And they don't sell just that part. You need to get the entire assembly. Decided to get the dorman 741-011 for right front window. $67 - 25% off - $54.38 total at pepboys with lifetime warranty. Cheapest for this brand was amazon $41.33 but it will take a week to get it. I thought of the 30-35 dollar ones on ebay but not only will it take a week, if it fails within a year then you're paying for 2 by then. And I feel the van will last longer than that @ 219k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.