Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Electrical Issues

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Buffalo4 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 Odyssey, I have a short somewhere that's drawing the battery down. I replaced battery on Monday, Tuesday around 10:30 am its dead. I have turned off the light switch, had the alternator checked. Back in 2008 I replaced the stock stereo with an Alpine because I lost power to the stock one, I have had no issues with the battery up until now, I checked all the fuses and fusible links, of course if a link is bad it can be hard to see. Going to start the running down the wires process in the morning, mainly at the firewall to see if one may have rubbed and is shorting. Any other ideas? I read where a guy said his sliding doors were not closing all the way, so I pushed on them before closing the garage door, I have replaced the roller on the drivers side last year. Any ideas will be appreciated. Also I don't have a clock light, the D light isn't working either. Are these easy to replace?

#2 ·
Get yourself an ammeter. With everything switched off, test the current draw through each circuit until you identify the one with the parasitic drain. Then go from there.

Note that the multiplexers will be active and will draw power when the doors are open or unlocked. Does you security system activate when you lock the doors with the fob?

See this thread for replacing the clock light: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/27-diy-modifications/23429-diy-clock-replacement-pics.html

...and this one for the D light: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/9-problems-concerns/43772-d-light-off.html

Or, you can search for "clock light" or "drive light" to see other similar threads. There's plenty of information here on the forum. :)

Dave

#5 · (Edited)
The old fashioned way is to turn off the door light main switch, open both the doors, put ammeter in series and then start removing one fuse at a time until you find the circuit drawing the current. The only short cuts would be if you had very fancy inductive pickup gadget which can sniff the current. But to sniff direct current involves very very expensive tool which most shop will not have it.

You might have to grab few clamps or duct tape to shut off the door ajar switches that way the car will think doors are closed but you need them open to get to the inside fuse boxes.

#7 ·
I remember that video! I don't remember if I had commented on it or not but NOT checking the interior door main switch as the VERY FIRST STEP was stupidest thing that he has probably done in his entire life :) Or may be he just wanted to show us how to do this and he intentionally created that situation? Because the contents are absolutely FIRST CLASS, I give Eric A+++ grade for this video.

#9 · (Edited)
You can also use your DMM in VDC mode and check for voltage drop across each fuse. If there is current flowing through a fuse you'll get a voltage drop across it. No current flow...no voltage drop. Simply put the volt meter probes on the test points on the top of the fuse. You'll be looking for mV readings and it depends on the fuse type you're testing. Here's a good place to download charts for it:

Here's a video on using voltage drop to check fuses for current flow through them. The video will start at 11:30 where he discusses voltage drop:

https://youtu.be/P-wxG6U5TuY?t=689

Here's a good chart for getting a current draw based on a voltage drop across a resistor.

Fuse Charts Download

Reactions: Hi Farmer
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.