Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2004 Odyssey - Cranks Won't Start - NO KEY INDICATOR LIGHT

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Buffalo4 
#1 ·
This is a simple post to let anyone know what I did to fix a problem with my 2004 Ody. I had to dig around several different threads to find the answer and I hope this simple post will help someone out.

Symptoms:

-- Engine started and ran briefly, then stalled.
-- Tried to restart but engine would only crank, but not catch and turn over.
-- All accessory lignts worked, all dashboard indicator lights came on EXCEPT for the green "KEY" immobilizer indicator. - THIS LIGHT DID NOT COME ON AT ALL - This led me to believe that it was a problem with the immobilizer, but couldn't confirm. I kept digging through the forum threads because most vehicles with this problem, the indicator light continued to flash, indicating a problem with the key or something else.
-- I let car sit overnight hoping that it would start in the morning, no go.

The first thing I checked was the easiest and cheapest. The fuse for the Fuel Pump, found in the Driver Side fuse box. It is above the parking brake pedal, so you'll have to get down and crawl under the steering column. I pulled the fuse and sure enough it was blown. A simple replacement with a 15A fuse and the van started right up! I was stoked to say the least because my husband wanted to get the car towed to the mechanic. So yay me!!

Anyway, if these are the symptoms that your vehicle is having, check out the fuse before you move on to something more complicated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the post.
Something caused that fuse to blow, so make sure you have another one handy in case it blows again. Could be a shorted wire somewhere or a failing relay or just a fluke.
Nice job troubleshooting. :cheers:
Buffalo4

#4 ·
What if the fuse is good? Im having the same problem changed the green light bulb and the green key light still dose not come on? The 2004 odyssey will crank all day, but wont start. The fuel pump dose not kick on unless jumped at the main relay i have replaced it. I have 4 of them all tested and working. So thats not the problem. There is no cracking solder.

#5 ·
I think you need a good electrical schematic to see how that green light gets energized and how the power actually gets to the Main Relay. It may be another relay that triggers the Main Relay.
Since jumping the correct points in the Main Relay turns the power on to the fuel pump, somehow the Main Relay is not getting energized.
Buffalo4

#6 ·
If you can find a 99-04 Honda Odyssey Service Manual, look at pages 208-214.
I will look at them closely tomorrow and see if I can find anything that could help you.
So which terminals did you jump on the Main Relay to make the fuel pump energize. Ones that operated the relay or ones that fed power directly to the fuel pump?
G'nite,
Buffalo4