Odometer light out-How do I replace it?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Odometer light out-How do I replace it?

Odometer light out-How do I replace it?

Just took possession of my 01 EX yesterday. Last night when I went to fill up the gas tank for the first time, I noticed that the odometer light is out.

Is that a major task to get behind the dash and replace it? Any threads on this?

AZRonS

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

To get back there, you need to remove the trim around your power sliding door buttons. Then you need to remove the trim around the radio. Once these are removed it will allow you to remove the trim around the gauges which extends across to the clock should it need a check up too.

Now that all the trim pieces are removed, you can remove the gauge cluster by removing the phillips head screws, unplugging the harnesses and pulling it out. Twist out the bulb and put in a new one or do an LED.

Reverse all the steps to put it back together and enjoy. Be sure to re-check the clock before buttoning everything up, it has a very moody bulb.

Below is a pic with and LED instead of a bulb replacement along with indiglo white face gauges.

Igobuk----

I was afraid it was going to be a big job, but I'm going to have to do it. That is a pain in the b*** to not be able to see the odometer.

I do have a question though. You mentioned LED instead of a regular bulb. Do you have a number for the correct LED? Also you mentioned indiglo white guages. I would love to make that change. What all is involved in doing that?

Maybe I should figure on doing all of it in one fell swoop so I don't have to pull things apart more than once.

Thx for your help.

AZRonS

Ah there you are Ron. You said it was in immaculate condition and now the led is out, so which one is it?

Hey, good luck with the replacement, should be piece of cake compared to the OldSmokey surgery.
    2002 Mazda MPV ES Zoom-Zoom
    1999 Chrysler 300M Affordable Luxury

I had this problem with my Accord, however there is no bulb to replace. The dealer advised that to have the odometer light illuminate again that i'd have to replace the whole instrument cluster. I thought this was BS so i removed the cluster. Sure enough, there was no bulb; at least there wasn't one i could find. It looks like the greenish/blue color comes from whatever process they use to illuminate the odometer window. I hope this is NOT true of the Odyssey even though it looks the same.
    Last edited by raven69david; 10-23-2005 at 11:00 AM.
    Oh my gawd, I own a minivan!!!
    1995 Mustang Cobra #802 (OMFG - sold!)
    1999 Honda Accord LX (sold)
    1999 Honda Odyssey EX (sold)
    1998 Lexus GS 400
    2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L

My odometer is completely black at night even though the speedometer is lit as normal. So there must be a bulb back there. Otherwise why would only the odometer be out?

Any more ideas, or personal experience with this problem?

AZRonS

Originally posted by AZRonS
    Igobuk----

I was afraid it was going to be a big job, but I'm going to have to do it. That is a pain in the b*** to not be able to see the odometer.

I do have a question though. You mentioned LED instead of a regular bulb. Do you have a number for the correct LED? Also you mentioned indiglo white guages. I would love to make that change. What all is involved in doing that?

Maybe I should figure on doing all of it in one fell swoop so I don't have to pull things apart more than once.

Thx for your help.

AZRonS
    The indiglo gauges I used I got from eBay and are actually for a 1998 Accord but they fit perfect. Only the Accord gauges go a little past 140 MPH and the Ody's stop at exactly 140 MPH. Not too big a deal. If anything, you're going a little slower than registered so no unintentional speeding will occur.

They slide right onto the current gauges, no need to remove the needles. Then just plug the power wire up to your parking lights and they'll light up when they're supposed to.

As for the odometer bulb. It's a twist socket, just twist it out and un-twist the bulb from it. Get a 5 mm white LED with around 5,000 mcd (brightness) that will work with 12V DC. Radio Shack should carry it. I got a bunch off of eBay but if you don't need 100, Radio Shack sells singles.

Then just twist the LED leads onto the socket where the bulb was and test it, if it doesn't light, take out the socket and turn it 180 degrees so the two contact points will be touching the opposite points on the gauge cluster. Test again, it should light up.

If you don't want to do all this, you can always twist out the old bulb and go to a U-pull it junkyard and pull the same bulb from various other Honda's you may find there.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thx Igobuk----

I know I need to replace that bulb. DW is already complaining 'cause she can't read thr odometer at night. She says that often someone will give directions to their house by explaining that you need to go 1.8 miles, for example. With no light in there, you can't tell how far you've come.

Maybe I'll have to buy her one of those miniature flashlights to use in that kind of an emergency. (Joking, or course)

I hope to get to this bulb change sometime during the winter when it is easy to work on the car outside. (Remember, I am in AZ.)

AZRonS
    2001 EX - 100K
    DW's car 96 Infiniti I30 - 110 K

Aha Fox----

You found me over here in Ody land. You know, immaculate involves lots of things. But the one thing I didn't find was this odometer light until DW and I drove it at night. Then the one and only flaw in my Ody showed up.

You know how it goes.

AZRonS
    2001 EX - 100K

Can anyone tell me the number of the odometer bulb? I would like to have it in hand before I dissasemble the dash. Of course, I could go to Radio Shack and see if I can find one of those LED's.

I just don't want to tear the whole dash apart and then find that no one in the area has a replacement bulb.

AZRonS
    2001 EX - 100K

The odometer bulb is a #74 found at any automotive store for about $1.50.
    2000 EX 165k miles. Hayden 404 tranny cooler with original tranny and fingers crossed....

Thx jpit. I'll pick one up soon and set aside some day in the near future to tear the insides out of my Ody and get that thing replaced. What a pain!!!

AZRonS
    2001 EX - 100K

AZRonS, I suggest you get the Helm manual for your car if you are going to service it yourself. It is invaluable. Also while several people ion this forum advocate using Leds as a replacement this is not a direct replacement and a knowledge of electronics is needed to make this conversion. It is something that Honda shoild have done as blown bulbs is a major problem with the Odyssey dash. I don't understand how Honda can make such a great van with so many service related flaws....
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

Wm Wiles-----

I already have the Haynes Manual, but not the Helms Manual. I also have considerable experience in working with consumer electronics and sound systems for churches, etc. So finding the bulb and replacing it, even if I have to solder it in, should be no problem for me.

I have looked at several threads which have given me a heads-up on several issues. But I think I can get the job done.

I agree with you, Honda should have done a lot better than they did on these hare-to-reach dash lights. Most people can't begin to do what is required to replace them. And I would hate to take it to a dealer. That little bulb could end up costing $100 or more.

Thx for the reminder.

AZRonS
    2001 EX - 100K

16. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements