Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Mysterious hanging ground cable...?

23K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  aznlapin 
#1 ·
Just changed out my battery today for a new 24F from wally world. Old one didn't last all that long :cry:... it's was manf. dated Nov 2008 :D. Definitely got my money's worth.

Anyways. I was looking over the battery cables to check on their condition, when I noticed this hanging ground cable. The negative clamp is attached to two ground cable, one is secured to the frame next to the battery and this one. Trying to figure out where it goes to. Completely oxidized and frayed. The cable is sharing a clamp with one of the cables from the positive terminal. Please help me figure out where it belongs.

Vehicle Car Auto part Technology Compact car
Bumper Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Pipe

See less See more
#2 ·
Usually that one goes down to the engine block or transmission. One goes to the body/frame, the other goes to the engine block/transmission case. Get that repaired ASAP. During starting you're pushing high starter motor current through the small cable going to the body, through the body, and probably through another smaller ground strap somewhere from the body to the engine, to the starter. That high starter current should be going directly from the battery to the engine block.

#5 ·
aznlapin, there is a metal tab underneath the engine starter that bolts to one end of your ground cable. I think this tab is attached to the transmission housing. You should see frayed wire, or something, if the original lug is still bolted to it.

OF

#6 ·
You beat me on the post.

:D

OF

#8 · (Edited)
Well, here's mine that I just found today, accidently, while swapping out my transmission pressure switch

This might explain the unusually short life of my previous battery, an Interstate Mega Tron Plus with 800 CCA. Started to leak after only a year and a half or so.

Do you have the Honda part number for the replacement cable? I tired looking for a generic one at Advance Auto but none of them seemed appropriate.

#14 ·
Do you have the Honda part number for the replacement cable? I tired looking for a generic one at Advance Auto but none of them seemed appropriate.
I bought a 5ft length of 2 gauge cable with crimped lugs from wallyworld. That was enough for me to replace both grounding cables along with the battery terminal clamp. $15 for everything and has worked fine since.

#13 ·
it's usually the front mount, you replace the right side passenger side mount along with it. just have someone start the car and watch the engine shift while they put it into reverse and drive. best way is to put a piece of wood and use a jack to lift the oil pan just VERY slightly like an inch or so. if you can remove the exhaust you can span a piece of wood across to the tranny as well, but the exhaust bolts are usually rusted and extremely difficult to remove. for the front mount just buy oem honda, it has a vacuum tube, most ebay mounts are not even vacuum and you save only $40, not worth it, the side mount, buy whatever you want. amazon has beck arnley for $35. fill the empty spaces of the side mount with 30 shore polyurethane or just goto walmart and buy the 100%silicone for caulk guns, that will extend the life of the mount and maybe even improve dampening. that engine jolt is most likely what snapped your cable like he said

#15 ·
This is the part # for the negative battery cable for 2002. It's probably the same for all Gen 2 years, but tell me the year of yours so I can confirm it for sure.

32600-S0X-A02 CABLE ASSY., BATTERY GROUND

It's about $40 list, maybe less online. (e.g. $32 @ College Hills)

Dave

#16 ·
I prefer my DIY version over the OEM cable, happy to replace that thin frame to battery cable with a 2ga one. If you're replacing the negative ground cable, probably should think about replacing the frame to engine ground strap as well. That one is completely un-insulated. Mine was fully corroded after 12 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.