2002 transmission fluid leak
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2002 transmission fluid leak

2002 transmission fluid leak

A couple of days ago, I noticed transmission fluid on the garage floor. The dipstick showed the fluid at the lower mark - just enough still in the transmission.

I looked under the car to see if I could detect where the fluid is leaking. I noticed fluid around the metal cylinder piece through which the driveshaft enters the transmission (this piece has the rubber CV boot on the non-transmission side).

Could the transmission be leaking at this point? What kind of repair job is this if the leak is present at this point? Are there any other locations the fluid could be leaking from if it's wet at this point? I don't notice any fluid from the top of the transmission. All of the wetness is from the driver's side of the transmission or on the bottom center of the transmission. It's pretty dry on the passenger side of the transmission.

The 2002 Odyssey has 83,000 miles on it.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Check your axle seals, They could be leaking.
    Odyssey 2002 Granite Green with DVD. Mudguards, and Fender flares.
    Fog Lights. Antenna mod, and Leather steering wheel cover. 2003 rear washer nozzle and painted rear spoiler.

Originally posted by Lawrence
    Check your axle seals, They could be leaking.
    Sounds like it...

Thanks for the suggestion.

What type of job is it to replace the axle seals? I'll do basic maintenance (like replace brake pads), but replacing axle seals sounds like it requires some effort. How expensive of a repair is this at a dealer?

It some works you need to pull the whole axle assemble off the vehicle. Then replace the seal mount to trans. Then put back the axle assembly.
    Odyssey 2002 Granite Green with DVD. Mudguards, and Fender flares.
    Fog Lights. Antenna mod, and Leather steering wheel cover. 2003 rear washer nozzle and painted rear spoiler.

I took the van in to have the seal replaced. The Honda service dept verified that the seal is leaking, but they noticed that the axle is more loose than it should be - indicating that there is a problem in the differential. They're assuming they have to take apart the whole transmission to fix it up.

They've contacted American Honda to see how much of the cost they would be willing to cover. The van has 84K miles on it. I mentioned to them the problems I've seen with the transmission and mentioned an extended warranty, but they've said it only applies to the 99-01 transmissions.

The current thought for repair is to replace it with a rebuilt transmission. This would cost up to $4K (as an estimate) - which is one reason they're talking to American Honda.

The oil jet kit was installed on the transmission and I've drained the fluid four times in the 84K life of the van.

The mechanic suggested that I not drive it until it gets fixed since the axle is significantly looser than it should be. I haven't noticed any change in the behavior of the transmission, just that the fluid started leaking in the past week. I wouldn't mind just using it around town until it's ready to get repaired, but the service dept recommends against it in case something causes the transmission to seize up and more problems can result.

I'll see how Honda responds to this. (and I thought transmission problems disappeared after I bought a Honda to replace my previous minivan - the Plymouth Voyager)
    Last edited by eaglemtn; 11-04-2005 at 03:02 PM.

Just talked with the service mananer. The Honda rep agreed to pay for the transmission and I'll be responsible for the labor (about $1K). I mentioned that the 01 has the extended warranty and that internet postings have had people with 02 transmission failures that didn't have to pay anything. He pretty much said that they don't see many 02 transmission problems and with the high mileage past warranty (84K), that this is what they could do for me. So, a rebuilt transmission is coming my way.

Originally posted by eaglemtn
    I took the van in to have the seal replaced. The Honda service dept verified that the seal is leaking, but they noticed that the axle is more loose than it should be - indicating that there is a problem in the differential.
    What specifically was the diagnosis? What part failed?

Please keep us posted on the diagnosis of the problem.
    2002 EX-TW ; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames, K&N Air Filter; FilterMag magnetic oil filter; Galaxy DX-959 mobile CB w/ Wilson 1,000 mag mount antenna;Valentine One; Schrader Nickle Plated Brass Valve Stem Caps; Odyssey 1200MJT mil-spec battery.

The educated guess by the mechanic without taking it apart is that the bearings that hold the axle as it comes into the differential are "breaking up". The mechanic could easily move the drive axle around - it was much looser than it was supposed to be - thus causing the seal to fail (hence the leak). His recommendation was not to drive it at all so that we wouldn't end up in an accident or more parts would break. I'm not too familiar with the mechanics of the transmission, so I may be saying this all wrong.

I'll try to get a better description of what went wrong once they replace it.

Originally posted by eaglemtn
    The educated guess by the mechanic without taking it apart is that the bearings that hold the axle as it comes into the differential are "breaking up". The mechanic could easily move the drive axle around - it was much looser than it was supposed to be - thus causing the seal to fail (hence the leak). His recommendation was not to drive it at all so that we wouldn't end up in an accident or more parts would break. I'm not too familiar with the mechanics of the transmission, so I may be saying this all wrong.

I'll try to get a better description of what went wrong once they replace it.
    If I remember correctly, the TSB, or some inside information that the forum received, re: some transmission failures, had to do with the root cause being porosity of the aluminum casting of the transmission housing.

The housing was porous and, therefore, weak near the bearing supports, causing the bearing races to move around and subsequently cause failures under load.

If this is the case, then you should not have to pay for a manufacturing defect

Check it out. I would certainly make a claim that this is not normal wear and tear.
    2002 EX-TW ; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames, K&N Air Filter; FilterMag magnetic oil filter; Galaxy DX-959 mobile CB w/ Wilson 1,000 mag mount antenna;Valentine One; Schrader Nickle Plated Brass Valve Stem Caps; Odyssey 1200MJT mil-spec battery.

The transmission has been replaced. Rather quick service - just two days. They rushed the transmission to the dealer. The transmission now has a 36K warranty. The transmission computer was also upgraded. My cost was $850 (for labor) and Honda paid for the transmission ($2600).

The service rep didn't provide any additional info on the failure. He indicated Honda will research it once they get the failed transmission.

I will try to get some more info from this forum, especially with regard to the porosity problem and bring this up to the dealer see if any other adjustments can be made.

I have heard of differential carrier bearing mounts failing due to manufacturing defect. Sounds like this is what happened to you. Honda should pay 100% if this is the case. You may never be able to prove it, though. Anyone have access to the TSB's? GoodSonOdy, could you look?
    Accordian
    2003 SS LX

Thanks for bringing up the problem with the differential bearing mounts. If I can get more info on this, I'll probably call about this.

I didn't notice any shifting problems while driving so it doesn't appear to be the typical transmission failure. The failure of the bearing mounts sound like a potential cause.
    Last edited by eaglemtn; 11-08-2005 at 11:38 PM.

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements