Transmission issue I have not seen covered previously......
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission issue I have not seen covered previously......

Lightbulb Transmission issue I have not seen covered previously......

Hello all,
    I am a new member and first post. We own a 2001 odyessy with 210,000 on the clock. We purchased it a few yrs. ago with about
    170,000 at that time.
    We have never experienced any trans issues what so ever in this time period until a few weeks ago, while freeway driving at speed the tcs and one other dash light were noticed to be on, then about 10 minutes later the trans just stopped working ,as in, one major slip and that was it, nothing in any gear or reverse.
    Car was towed and I started the research, and followed all of the recommended fixes on this very informative site as well as some videos online.
    I did all of the solenoid voltage checks, and made sure all 6 solenoids are clean and operational .Upon inspection the screens did not have any friction material whatsoever clogging them,and there was the only usual amount on the drain plug. The fluid was topped off, but was fairly dark and had a somewhat burned smell, and was drained as well as a full cleaning of the inline filter behind the front bumper.
    Added 4 1/2 quarts of new honda atf and I am assuming the ecu was reset when i had removed the battery to do the work.

This is what is happening now... No dash fault lights except ck motor which has been on for a year or so and no issues related to it that I know of.
    Car goes into reverse one time, after starting ignition but not after that, and will do nothing on the same start after that. all other gears do not engege at all, not even the slightest amount.

I am hoping I have missed something and you great people have an idea, or is the thing just done/toast.

Thanks very much for any input!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Did you read the codes stored in the computer after the transmission failure occurred? If the check engine light was already on, any new codes would just be added to the list.

The TCS light coming on indicates that the computer detected something amiss.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

Dave, thank you for the reply....unfortunately I did not check the codes , as I do not own the tool to do so ,probably should pick one of those up at this point in time and technology .

If I did check them at this point... would I still get the codes? the check on engine light is still on.

I was also wondering if there were any fuses or other electrical issue related to this?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

odyssey service manual page 14-9 showed the causes of (engine runs, but vehicle does not move in any direction)
    1-low atf level.
    2-shift cable broken or out of adjustment.
    3-shift cable worn.
    4-ATF pump worn or binding.
    5-regulator valve stuck or spring worn.
    6-ATF strainer clogged.
    7-Mainshaft worn or damaged.
    8-final gears worn or damaged.
    9-transmission to engine assembly error.
    10-Axle disengaged.

Sadly you've done all you can externally. Everything else to be done will be inside the trans.

The stuff happening inside the trans when you shift the column shifter is mechanical. Some people imagine the column shifter is like a sensor, and then there are solenoids firing inside the trans to make things happen... not in an Ody of this gen. If you get nothing, AND the cable isn't snapped... that's not good news.

This gold bit is what the cable is attached to. The black part that looks like a shepherd's hook is the valve that goes inside the main valve body and directs trans fluid to where it needs to go to make things happen.

So if shifting gears gives you nothing... 's not good *shake head*

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Ody View Post
    If I did check them at this point... would I still get the codes? the check on engine light is still on.

I was also wondering if there were any fuses or other electrical issue related to this?
    Yes, you can still get the codes. They are kept in the computer until someone clears them with a code reader.

BTW, great idea to get a code reader of your own. It will pay for itself the first time you use it.

It's probably not an electrical problem - more likely mechanical or hydraulic.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

For now, you can stop by any auto parts store and have them read and give you the codes that are stored. It's not a real substitute for your own scan tool but helpful in a pinch.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

It would be a miracle for him to stop by any parts store to have the code read :-) I think John missed the original post completely.

Lol. Well, very possible (or certain) that I missed the bigger picture on that one! They may "rent" one for free, though. I've done that for many other tools that I don't need very often. I've never asked about scan tool renting, though.
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

I saw the scan tool rental on their chart at autozone a while back. Though I never rented it, I sometimes mention it as well, in case some places do not read it for free. In cali, for example, I heard they are not supposed to anymore (since 5 yrs back) though aamco does it. Back in midwest almost every autoparts store scanned it. Pepboys for example, says drop off the car even for that and it only takes 2 mins to hook up and read.
    |-2008 Ody T 84K@5/2016 VCMuzzler2; Goodyear Assurance 3Tread, (90040) TruCool LPD 4544 +Magnefine 3/8in filter; All Wheel bearings replaced; Centric rotors+Akebono pads; 4 ATF d/f; oem cargo tray; weathertech floor liners; New thermostat + ect1 sensor (89k); (93537) Airlift 1000 bags, Interior LEDs; 94600mi TB, SP, PS fluid;
    |-2001 Ody EX (sold 149k mi)
    |-2000 Accord EX V6 Coupe (232k, sold, downsizing)

All that said, I think it's probably a long shot that any code stored in the PCM triggering the MIL will be responsible for the transmission not doing anything when shifting in and out of gear. If anyone knows that trans it's bbarbulo and I'd take his word on it. I would, however, sure check those codes before I remove the transmission for rebuilding just in case. It still may have some clues.
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

when you can buy a code reader at your local walmart for $20, nobody needs to go and "borrow" one from the local auto parts store.

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas. As for these below

odyssey service manual page 14-9 showed the causes of (engine runs, but vehicle does not move in any direction)
    1-low atf level.
    2-shift cable broken or out of adjustment.
    3-shift cable worn.
    4-ATF pump worn or binding.
    5-regulator valve stuck or spring worn.
    6-ATF strainer clogged.
    7-Mainshaft worn or damaged.
    8-final gears worn or damaged.
    9-transmission to engine assembly error.
    10-Axle disengaged.

For (#2 and 3 above) akramjef1 also from bbarbulo suggestions

I checked the cable under the steering column cover and it all looks and works as it should I believe . I removed the lower cable/lever cover under the trans, and had the wife get in the car and go through the gears while I watched the cable/lever. The cable mooved the lever into park, r, and all gears, and made a clicking sound while going to each gear, which I assume it is supposed to do. So the cable is not broken and does not aooear to be sloppy, although I do not know if an adjustment would make a difference.

(#4and 5 above)
    I do not know where these two parts are located or if they are inside the transmission?or related to my symptoms?

As far as John Clark and davedrivesod's suggestions , I have not checked the codes but plan to do that shortly.

I will keep posting and thanks again all.

Sorry friend, 1,2,3 are all the external checks you can make. If you need further conviction, you can hook up a pressure gauge and see that you have no pressure. But fact is, the clicking noises are you hear are that gold part (you can see the clicky bits in the photo I posted) moving. So, that's that. 4 and on are internal to the trans. Well, not the last one... If an axle is broken you would see the trans output spinning.

Thanks bbarbulo,

So what part of the internals of the trans would you think are the most at fault ,and have you rebuilt this gen ody trans?

I may be crazy but I am thinking of attempting to do a rebuild ,and have never done a trans before.
    There are a few very detailed 2 hour long how- to videos on the web, but the actual cost of the rebuild materials/parts is not mentioned.
    What is the typical cost of the parts and specialty tools, and how long does it actually take ,and level of difficulty?

thanks

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast