Issue with power locks 2003 Odyssey?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Issue with power locks 2003 Odyssey?

Issue with power locks 2003 Odyssey?

Hello, I am new here to the forums thought I may come on for some help :P

So we have a 2003 Honda Odyssey and have been haveing issues with the locks. All the locks don't work except for the trunk. Every other lock will work every now and then but not all the time. To lock the car we need to manually lock each door. The locks starting acting like this around 3 or 4 years ago. A year or two later someone I guess tried to break in the driver's door and broke the keyhole to unlock the door with the key (Funny thing is the locks were already not working lmao).

So what do you think might be wrong with the locks and how much do you think it would cost to get them fixed? If it also will be better I can make a short video showing the issue.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

It's typical for the motor that runs the lock to get weak and be intermittent. It's best to test for voltage on the motor so you are sure it is the issue before replacing.

This post is for a newer Ody but similar issue and even lists a motor instead of the whole unit. I don't know if it is the same motor as the 03 unit.
    DIY: Front Lock Actuator Replacement (2007 Honda Odyssey LX)

Some other posts:
    power door lock actuator 5$ fix
    door lock motor replacement
    Mike
    2000 Odyssey LX
    Trans at 82k -- Tru-cool trans cooler
    DIY Timing Belt at 104k
    Hidden Hitch & Airlift 1000's

Quote Originally Posted by OdyinNH View Post
    It's typical for the motor that runs the lock to get weak and be intermittent. It's best to test for voltage on the motor so you are sure it is the issue before replacing.

This post is for a newer Ody but similar issue and even lists a motor instead of the whole unit. I don't know if it is the same motor as the 03 unit.

Some other posts:
    Thanks, The first post shows how to do the front doors however, how will I go about checking the rear sliding doors?

Also do you think its possible for all the locks to go except the trunk is a short period of time?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

First, we need the trim level to know if you have power sliding doors or manual doors as the wiring is different.

Second, can you explain in more detail? Just to be clear, does it work with the key (I think you already said that was broken?) Does it work with the remote? I think I understand both answers are no on those. However, do they work from the inside? Check each and every lock button on each door. The more details of what works and what doesn't the easier it will be to track down. Even details like "I hear a click (or I hear nothing) when I press the lock/unlock button but the doors don't lock/unlock." A description will be really helpful. If you want to add a video that would be helpful too.

Based on the details and the wiring diagram we can come up with a theory of how to reproduce the failure and that will tell us where to start looking first. Even with that theory, we will need to get into the doors to do some testing with a test light. If you're not up to that then all we can do is guess.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

Quote Originally Posted by winter4w View Post
    ... The locks starting acting like this around 3 or 4 years ago...
    Did multiple locks stop working at the same time? (would suggest a central control failure)
    or
    Did the locks fail one after another, separated in time, perhaps coincidentally that they failed in the same year? (would suggest individual lock motor failures)

Yes, the lock motors do eventually burn out - all of them if you use them enough.

You could just start with one door, take the panel off, and see if it is getting the right signal, and then apply voltage to see if the motor is still functioning. But hey, you might not want to do this if it ends up being a blown fuse, so good to ask for smarter debugging help.
    2011 Odyssey LX, 74k miles
    1999 Odyssey EX, 230k miles, original owner

Like oldskewel says, the fuses may be a problem. Might not be making good contact, so at least remove and reinsert them several times while also checking them.
    If you pull the panel off the driver's front door, might as well put in a new lock cylinder since the old one was broken.
    Buffalo4
    2003 EX-L
    168k miles orig tranny Oct 2015

I am gonna bet its the individual locks needing new motors. Since your tailgate lock still works, almost sure its not the fuse. Another possible is the multiplexer, you can check those before opening up each door. I replaced all the door lock actuator motors for my 99 few years ago and it just takes some patience in removing the parts but fairly easy. You want to get the mabuchi motors from ebay - 8-16V 9mm Round Shaft Auto Motor Car Door Lock &Mirror Repair FC280PC/FC-280 | eBay and just swap that out to save money. No need to buy the entire door lock assembly which should still be functioning properly. They are repair friendly with screws to open it up to get to the small motors. Look here...ebay door lock actuators

BTW, to remove the attachment on the motor, you can just apply some heat and it will easily slide off with a pliers. I have done this with 2 of my vehicles and used the same motor size.

And to open up the sliding doors you need to first remove the plastic covering around the sliding door window and then the panel itself. They are just held by clips and a few screws. You just pop it out. Use those plastic upholstery tool from HF. There are youtube how to's on these I think. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
    First, we need the trim level to know if you have power sliding doors or manual doors as the wiring is different.

Second, can you explain in more detail? Just to be clear, does it work with the key (I think you already said that was broken?) Does it work with the remote? I think I understand both answers are no on those. However, do they work from the inside? Check each and every lock button on each door. The more details of what works and what doesn't the easier it will be to track down. Even details like "I hear a click (or I hear nothing) when I press the lock/unlock button but the doors don't lock/unlock." A description will be really helpful. If you want to add a video that would be helpful too.

Based on the details and the wiring diagram we can come up with a theory of how to reproduce the failure and that will tell us where to start looking first. Even with that theory, we will need to get into the doors to do some testing with a test light. If you're not up to that then all we can do is guess.
    The locks don't work with the key fob or buttons. This one does have power sliding doors. The only lock that work with the buttons and the fob is the trunk. Everything else does not work however the left slideing door will work once in a blue moon.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskewel View Post
    Did multiple locks stop working at the same time? (would suggest a central control failure)
    or
    Did the locks fail one after another, separated in time, perhaps coincidentally that they failed in the same year? (would suggest individual lock motor failures)

Yes, the lock motors do eventually burn out - all of them if you use them enough.

You could just start with one door, take the panel off, and see if it is getting the right signal, and then apply voltage to see if the motor is still functioning. But hey, you might not want to do this if it ends up being a blown fuse, so good to ask for smarter debugging help.
    Yea if I remember correctly it started with the passanger side, then the drivers and then the slideing doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo4 View Post
    Like oldskewel says, the fuses may be a problem. Might not be making good contact, so at least remove and reinsert them several times while also checking them.
    If you pull the panel off the driver's front door, might as well put in a new lock cylinder since the old one was broken.
    Buffalo4
    Yea I allready checked the fuse and its good. Plus if the fuse went I would think the trunk lock would stop working also. Also for the new lock cylinder how much would that cost and whats the part number?

Quote Originally Posted by nitely2 View Post
    I am gonna bet its the individual locks needing new motors. Since your tailgate lock still works, almost sure its not the fuse. Another possible is the multiplexer, you can check those before opening up each door. I replaced all the door lock actuator motors for my 99 few years ago and it just takes some patience in removing the parts but fairly easy. You want to get the mabuchi motors from ebay - 8-16V 9mm Round Shaft Auto Motor Car Door Lock &Mirror Repair FC280PC/FC-280 | eBay and just swap that out to save money. No need to buy the entire door lock assembly which should still be functioning properly. They are repair friendly with screws to open it up to get to the small motors. Look here...ebay door lock actuators

BTW, to remove the attachment on the motor, you can just apply some heat and it will easily slide off with a pliers. I have done this with 2 of my vehicles and used the same motor size.

And to open up the sliding doors you need to first remove the plastic covering around the sliding door window and then the panel itself. They are just held by clips and a few screws. You just pop it out. Use those plastic upholstery tool from HF. There are youtube how to's on these I think. Good luck.
    Hmm intersting I may look into doing that. However it seems like a pain to take apart the two front doors. I was thinking of doing the slideing doors my self and the dealer to do the front ones. Any idea on how much they may cost?

winter4w: Let me know if there are parts you are looking for and are interested in / willing to try used stuff. I have stripped my 2002 Odyssey (parting it out) and selling at 25% of retail plus shipping. This would help save you some money, especially if you are looking at a 'trial-and-error' process and don't want to spend a bunch of money on what might not be the issue. My intent is not to make a bunch of money but rather help our some DIY-ers if I can.

12. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread