"Genuine OEM" 3rd clutch pressure switch parts sourcing?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Genuine OEM" 3rd clutch pressure switch parts sourcing?

"Genuine OEM" 3rd clutch pressure switch parts sourcing?

Hello,
    I am about to service a persistent OBD code P1739: 3rd clutch pressure switch.

I do not have any issues with my transmission or shifting, so I assume the switch or the wiring has just out lived it usefulness.

I found some useful info about accessing the switch here;

Test /diagnose the 3rd pressure switch.

I have found a lot of vendors selling what seem to be generic "Genuine OEM" parts for half the price of an item in a Honda package.

GENUINE HONDA OIL PRESSURE SWITCH - ACCORD ODYSSEY PILOT, OEM NEW 28600-P7Z-003 | eBay

What should I look for in a part? Where did Honda source its OEM parts for this item number? I have seen references to "Texas Instruments".

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...0-p7z-003.html

Any recommendations for a part that will work as intended?

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I have no way to know if a part from e-bay is genuine or not. But I do know there is a ton of counterfeit stuff out there - everything from purses to aircraft parts.

IMHO, it's not worth the hassle. The factory part lasted 12+ years. Replace it with OE and it will probably outlast the van.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

Hello,
    Thank you for your comments.

I just swapped out a Oxygen Sensor in my 2003 Element and saved $70.00 in parts cost by purchasing a "Denso" branded item which is popularly thought to be the actual OEM manufacturer for the official Honda part.

I am wondering if these oil pressure switches are distributed the same way.

Thank you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Funny you mention the Denso O2 sensors. Yes, I too made an exception to OE and bought them based on Denso being the OEM.

It looks like TI is the OEM for these oil pressure switches. (Normal - Honda farms a lot of stuff out to suppliers.) Question is if TI sells outside of its contract with Honda. Try as I did, I found no answer.

One thing is for sure: if the oil pressure switches on e-bay were OEM, they sure wouldn't come in a Honda box!

Dave
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

Thanks again for the comments.

I went ahead and bought an OEM part from a Honda Dealer. After reading about how pressure switches work in these systems and how a slight deviation in spec (from either old age of the correct part, or a mis specified new part) can causes slight, barely noticeable, changes in the shift timing I decided I would like to have the best chance at having everything work as intended. After reading it seemed that as a correct part wears out there is a gradually increasing character of poorly timed shifts which increases the strain and wear on the internal mechanisms. I drive the van very calmly on flat terrain so it is likely I have not noticed the shifting timing devolve where as someone driving aggressively in hill country might see degradation occur rapidly.

It seemed like it is a good idea to use a part that is most likely to be quality controlled for the specification desired.

Thank you.

I couldn't have explained any better the downside of installing a deficient pressure switch.

You made a good decision to go with OEM.

Dave

Just as a side note on the O2 portion of this discussion...I just replaced the front O2's on my 08 and the OE's were NTK, not Denso as I had always thought and read. As I've researched more though, it seems NTK/NGK is the OE, not Denso. The NTK site shows it as OE for the 2002 I just looked up. Just thought I'd note that just as FYI as they are relatively inexpensive with free shipping right from NTK.

https://www.ngk.com/Automotive-Oxyge...-NGK-c904.aspx
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

10. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread