Transmission cooler not done
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transmission cooler not done

Transmission cooler not done

I had the transmission replaced by a local company that has a good reputation for making good rebuilds, even does them for local Honda dealers. I went to pick it up last Friday and gave it a good test drive before paying for it. I asked him if he had installed the trans cooler and he said it did not need it, so he had given me a reduced price on the bill. He said the mods they make to the trans keeps the fluid flowing better. I had told him I planned on towing a small camper with it, about 1300-1500lbs, and thought it needed the cooler. I got a one year warranty on the trans. Should I demand he install the cooler? Seems like it could not hurt to have it. I will admit, the car runs great, and it has gotten the best gas mileage it has ever had since I bought it.
    Michael

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I asked about the cooler when I got AT replacement. They said they would only put it if it needed it after their full inspection. Mine did not need it. If I really wanted one I could go back for an install but they would not do it at the time of initial install. I think they (or at least some shops) probably want to install basic first and show that it is all great... any mods are by customer and separate...

You can have it installed but cannot demand, as it is an add-on. It would be a plus to install one even if you did not tow.
    |-2008 Ody T 84K@5/2016 VCMuzzler2; Goodyear Assurance 3Tread, (90040) TruCool LPD 4544 +Magnefine 3/8in filter; All Wheel bearings replaced; Centric rotors+Akebono pads; 4 ATF d/f; oem cargo tray; weathertech floor liners; New thermostat + ect1 sensor (89k); (93537) Airlift 1000 bags, Interior LEDs; 94600mi TB, SP, PS fluid;
    |-2001 Ody EX (sold 149k mi)
    |-2000 Accord EX V6 Coupe (232k, sold, downsizing)

Definitely put the cooler on for towing.
    30 year career of car sales and related industry
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+1 get a cooler

But if you go somewhere else for it, clear it first with the rebuild shop that it won't affect your warranty. Playing devil's advocate, they could claim it would restrict fluid flow...

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

Good news, I reckon, the mechanic called me yesterday and said that he had thought about my use of the Ody and decided he would put on the cooler. He said he thought I wanted the cooler because the one in the radiator was bad, but since it was fine and flowed well, he figured I did not need one. This one will be put in to work in line with the radiator cooler so should be great. Thanks for the replies.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSwan View Post
    he had thought about my use of the Ody and decided he would put on the cooler.
    Now, there's a good mechanic! He actually listens to the customer.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

9. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread