Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Do you change your filer before changing the oil? Is it possible

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Buffalo4 
#1 ·
Is it even possible to change the filer (@5k?) before changing the oil?

I don't drive my car much, but more in the summer. It's hard to net 10k per year. But I think it might be healthier for the engine if I change the filer mid-way before changing the oil.

Thoughts? Too much work?

#2 ·
You can change the filter without changing the oil. Why are you going 10K between oil changes? I'd be changing oil and filter at 5K, if it were me but would depend on the type of oil you're using.

#3 ·
Some folks who don't drive much change the oil but not the filter until next time.

Never heard of anyone changing the filter but not the oil. If the filter really needs changing, likely the oil needs changing too.

Dave

#15 ·
I do. For these two reasons.

1. I won't debate the quality of oil filters. So for my car (Car B), I will run two filters per oil change. It's OEM filter BTW.

2. Car B comes with free oil change for the life of the car. It comes with every car they sell. "Can't get out of it." However, the dealer won't change the oil until the indicator goes down to zero. So I do run 10K+ miles between changes for our use. I don't really like that. If there are any oil related issue, it's on them. But since it's still my car, I change the filter at the 50% mark.

#6 ·
You can safely go two oil changes per filter if you were so inclined. And don't change the oil 'just cuz'. 8k miles between oil changes is fine if you have a normal service schedule, not a severe duty. If not sure, look up sever duty service schedule for a Honda and see. Cold weather. Short trips..

#7 ·
one thing to note when changing filter but not oil is that ~a quart or so comes out with the filter. be sure to check the oil level. i've use redline oil in my van for about 10 years, changing the filter every 5000 miles and the oil every 10,000 miles. i was told that most modern filters are good for around 7500 miles.

#8 · (Edited)
I doubt the Ody oil filter holds more than 1/2 qt of oil.
On my '03 Ody, the owner's manual says, for Normal Service, to change the oil (yep, conventional oil) at 7500 miles and the oil filter every other time.
So, I see no way you need to change that oil filter early.
However, if you do, just make sure you check the oil level before you do it, and make sure it is at the top mark.
After you change the filter (many add oil to it before installing it), make sure you check it again after the engine has warmed up.
Perhaps you are wondering if a lot of oil will drain out when you remove the filter. No, basically the same amt as when you drain the oil beforehand.
Buffalo4

#9 ·
I have always changed the filter when changing the oil on any car I have owned. I have never heard of only changing one or the other. I just always figured it was best to have fresh oil and a fresh filter and have no plans on changing that.

#12 · (Edited)
If I were to wait until every other oil change to swap filters, I might as well clean the lint trap every other washload and the A/C filter every other month. Regardless of what Honda says, its a $5 insurance policy, and having an extra clean filter never made the oil degrade more quickly or caused oil starvation.

#17 ·
I agree with you, it makes sense to change the oil filter at the halfway point of a 10K+ miles oil change. A synthetic filter might go the distance, but I wouldn't bet my engine on a standard filter.

I would like to see a Used Oil Analysis from that car after 10K miles. That seems like an overly long OCI for all but the very best synthetic motor oils under favorable driving conditions.

Dave

#18 ·
I asked the service advisor about that (that I had to wait till zero), and they told me they used full syn oil. I have no way to confirm or deny if it's true, or not. But I was to pay for my oil change, the standard oil change, they would put in non syn oil - I think it's Penzoil. Not to say Penzoil is bad, it's just that I don't really trust what they say.

#20 ·
I guess Honda must be clueless about their 1999-2003 Odys since they suggest 7500 miles for an oil change (non-synthetic) and 15000 filter change with their stock oil filter.
Buffalo4
PS: I would not follow that advice even with Mobil 1 and a 15000k mile synthetic oil filter. :)

#22 · (Edited)
I cut my ATF filter open after replacing it on my '03 and it still 'looked' pretty good at 176k miles or so.
I swear, some Honda owners will ONLY use OEM products, including WW fluid. :) Course, many Honda OEM parts and products are the best, and that is NOT a lie.
They also stated that only Honda Z-1 should be used in an '03 Ody. :ahh:
Buffalo4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.